Looking for help with ideas for custom spillway

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All-
I am investing in two new, much larger pumps to increase flow and circulation for my waterfalls. I have 1” spiral tubing feeding each spillway now and the sound of the waterfalls and the circulation is not enough. So I am going to increase the pumps and line size. But what I’m thinking about doing is buying a plastic basin like in the photo attached and customizing it to spill down each rock waterfall. Anyone have any tips and tricks, glues or plastic pieces to use. I think going this route would work best for volume of water cascading down and also a way to clean up the top of the pond by making a bog filter out of it.

Attachments

• 56C88B2B-A3F5-41F5-8DE9-8747A685DDC1.jpeg
    56C88B2B-A3F5-41F5-8DE9-8747A685DDC1.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 124080DF-C911-4D98-8568-253432179EBA.jpeg
    124080DF-C911-4D98-8568-253432179EBA.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 236

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may need a bigger pump but you will also need a bigger hose for the pump .I use 2 laguna pumps with half inch sump pump hose .Extra water I direct to the bottom of the pond with a ball valve to keep the bottom of the pond clean .I attach it with hose clamps and drill pvc pipe with holes drilled into it and that really helps clean and aerate the bottom of the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bump. Has anyone ever made a weir or spillway before. Looking for about 16-18” wide and 12” long to attach to my 2x2 wood box bog filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think a larger pump and larger hose would help increase water flow. I use 1-1/2" flex pvc for my 3600 gph pump.
I don't see how that other plastic molded piece would be any better than what you already have.
Have you thought about keeping the weir you already have and maybe raising it up a bit? More height and the increased water flow of a larger pump should make a difference.
As I suggested in your previous post, you can surround the existing weir with stones to hide it nicely.
You can also experiment with adding random rocks in and around the falls area and along each plateau of the falls. I like the different plateau levels that you created. They look real nice. Adding some rocks on them might help to create a disturbance and resulting in the added rushing sound you are looking for.
I've always said, our ponds are an ongoing project. I'm always tinkering.
So, experiment a bit before you spend your hard earned money.
Keep us posted

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s exactly what I’m adding- 1 1/2 pipe and 3600 gph pump. the reason for the custom weir’s is because I want my spillway to double as a bog to help clear the pond up without a actual filter. and by tripling the size of the small pond I need more volume than the 1” pipe and 1200 gph into the small weir I have now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds like a good plan. I'm a believer in bog filtration even though I haven't gotten to building mine yet! It's on my agenda for early Spring. I convinced myself I will not be setting up those pressure filters this year.

It's difficult to determine the size of that preform from the photo. It must be larger than I thought if you are going to use it for a bog filter.

I would suggest you look into flex PVC. That stuff is indestructible. I wasted so much money over the years with that horrible corrugated "pond" tubing. I love most Tetra products, but that one is a waste. Your lucky if it lasts one season.

Flex pvc is the same outside diameter as standard PVC fittings and can be glued to any fitting, just like ridged PVC. You can use Fernco couplings if you need removeable connections.
Flex pvc comes in white or black and two different flexibilities. It's not super flexible, but it will be the last hose you buy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just came up with this little idea. Took (2) milk crates that were 18” wide and cut them in half, then cut 45° down the sides. I’m going to notch my wood box and then attach the milk crate weirs to it on the two sides for the waterfalls. I’m going to field install those because i need to level the bog box with a slight tilt to the waterfalls so I know height to put the wiers. I bought a 10’x10’ 45mil epdm this morning to line the 2’x2’ bog box once in place and then I am going to line the milk crate weirs with the liner and then dress in with stone and gravel to hide is. It all looks good in my head. Just need some warm weather to get to gettin.

Attachments

• 19DD2543-7E39-4804-8E43-9EC9A9D63FA1.jpeg
    19DD2543-7E39-4804-8E43-9EC9A9D63FA1.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 82C2056C-EA61-4BAE-8303-AA2D4AB1C90E.jpeg
    82C2056C-EA61-4BAE-8303-AA2D4AB1C90E.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,886
  • 748A93DE-8CEA-4F4A-B2F6-32F370EABDB6.jpeg
    748A93DE-8CEA-4F4A-B2F6-32F370EABDB6.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 407
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
while I commend the ingenuity for thinking outside the box. and for doing a nice job with your creation . I see a couple concerns. while twothjmbs out preventing the fish fRTom swiminng in . I have to give a thumbs down on potential clogging. I believe those are skimmer boxes that your making. if your water level is low on the screen as it gets clogged and the water level rises it will find open mesh how ever this will also make water levels rise in one area and lower in others.

Also are you mentioned lining the inside the box for the plumbing at the bottom of the box. what of the outside of the box will your new filter screen be removed for the epdm to cover the box face and drop into the inside of the box and seem the overlaps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I’m thinking about doing is buying a plastic basin like in the photo attached and customizing it to spill down each rock waterfall. Anyone have any tips and tricks, glues or plastic pieces to use.

Looks like you made a good solution! FWIW, I have this 9 gallon connecting pool and it's a good deal bigger than the 2.5 gallon streamlet you first were looking at and holds much more throughput: https://www.homedepot.com/p/MacCourt-Connecting-Pool-Waterfall-PC3307/308771607:
1582002167020.png

The little 2.5 gallon streamlet may overflow if you plan to pass a lot of water through it and will absolutely not work for a bog since that much water pressure in that shallow of a basin will just blast the gravel right out of it (and/or overflow). Even the bigger connecting pool I have (and linked) is unlikely to be an effective bog filter since the gravel can never be deep enough to allow plants to root effectively. I have about 4 inches of gravel in mine (it will only hold 4-5") and my 1200GPH pump with about 3-4' of rise coming out of a tiny waterfall box like the smaller one you have now pushes the gravel around in it. It might work better if it had a upflow bulkhead fitting in the rear bottom instead of a waterfall box falling into it though, like this (except on the bigger connecting pool, but I still doubt it would be an effective bog filter):
1582001761577.png

I would still worry that your wood frame bog box is not deep enough to be an effective bog: you need like 12" of gravel, and it looks like by the time you cut your notches for the milk crate weirs the box will not be that tall. Maybe make another one (but without the notches) and stack them to get more depth? You might have a helpful veggie filter element, but I'm not sure it's really a bog if it's that small/shallow. MacCourt makes a 165 gallon 18" deep connecting pool that would make a good bog for a bigger area/pond: https://maccourt.com/product/kodiak/. I think the rule is that your bog needs to be 1/3 the size (surface area) of your pond to be a truly robust filtration solution? (someone correct me if that's not right)

Ask a Question