looking for lotus

lotusfreak

searching for nelumbo
Reaction score
and have not had any real luck finding something on the cheap side. no over exorbitant prices or anything, just a bit too much for me right now:eek:

im wondering if anyone has a tuber they can spare if they knew it will be taken care of and grown out nicely!!! i have a small preform with two Koi and 12 or so Goldies that would look so much better shadowed by a beautiful Nelumbo!

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i could pay shipping!?!:bowdown: Il love ya forever!!!!!!!

~Tyler:surfing:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
try looking for seeds, I tried my first one and followed the instuctions, It's growing great in just one week and I'm putting in it's put this evening. seeds are cheap and not hard to grow once the outer shell is filed down slightly to help the seed get moisture inside.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can find lotus seeds at craft stores I have heard and they will grow but you won't know what kind you will end up with :rolleyes:

lotusfreak

searching for nelumbo
Reaction score
funny thing. im doing that now. they are over a month old, but not going crazy like i expected... im gonna try joyce's method, but am being a bit impatient i guess. i want that impact of 12 inch aerial leaves at the pond! il be more patient. im working on it! lol. thanx for the input guys

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I measured one of my leaves the sucker was 22 inches...........worth the effort of getting it going

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll just enjoy all you guy's lovely lotus cuz they don't do buggers here. Shrivel up and die here in the ice age :rolleyes:
Keep posting all the photo's cuz they are soooooooooo beautiful!!!
Someday if we ever move outta this ice cube summer region I'm gonna grow a whole pond full of them to die for :lol::lol::lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Seed and tubers when they are dormant are the more obvious way to transplant a lotus.

Trying to lift lotus when they are in their growing season is not so straightforward as the very delicate roots and runners of a lotus are easy and very vulnerable to damage extensively, especially when they are set in dense thick mud.

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• lotus_roots_LR.jpg
    lotus_roots_LR.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 309

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes the big round pod that seeds in it. Brown in color. You can see the seeds they are really hard too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
60 or 80 grit sand paper, carefully rub until you start seeing a ring of white. Put in warm water, change the water if it clouds on you. and wait! lol

Ask a Question