Looking for miniature demonstration water garden plant ideas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Good morning!

I haven’t been around the GPF in a while, for no particular reason other than life pulling me in other directions and my pond doing A-okay.

I am going to be building a demonstration water garden for an elementary classroom (1st-3rd grade). It’s going to be in a 20 gallon tub sitting on an appliance dolly so it can be rolled outside for some direct sunlight during the day (it’s a smooth path so sloshing shouldn’t be an issue) and it will also have indoor grow lights, a heater and thermostat to try and help manage the temperature issues with going small, and I’m planning to use an aquarium sponge filter system. There will be one “bog level” kidney shaped pot hugging the rim for marginals, about 2-3 gal pot.

Things I’m wondering:

1) plants. I’ll be working with the teachers on if we want to go more with natives vs an edible water garden vs showcasing some other species, but would definitely like to hear your ideas from any of those plant groups about what would grow well in mild climate with temperate to warm water (will be using guppies so water will be between 70-75 f year round, and I’m in San Diego so the very coldest air temperature when wheeled outside would probably be like 58 degrees) under a combo of mostly grow lights with some sunlight, look nice, but not rapidly overwhelm the mini set up?

2) also, would it be worth pointing the outflow of the pump into the marginal pot or would this essentially be pointless (I’m thinking there might be marginal benefit, no pun intended).

I already have a pretty small pond so have some ideas about what might work but my knowledge of aquatic plants is not what I would consider expansive at this point.

Thanks for thoughts and ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a fun project! I would use Water Sprite because it checks two of your requirement blocks, showcasing species from another part of the world and it is supposed to be edible. Here is a link that may be useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopteris_thalictroides#Cultivation
You have a tremendous opportunity here working with that age group. Perhaps have them create their own micro-aquatic systems?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Watercress! But stand back...it's a vigorous grower :) Sounds like it will be a fun project.
I have watercress in my small bog but it has disappeared over the past year for some reason, perhaps the water level is just a touch too high for it. But yes, I had to pull mats of it out on occasion!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
What a fun project! I would use Water Sprite because it checks two of your requirement blocks, showcasing species from another part of the world and it is supposed to be edible. Here is a link that may be useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopteris_thalictroides#Cultivation
You have a tremendous opportunity here working with that age group. Perhaps have them create their own micro-aquatic systems?
Thanks for that Suggestion! Unfortunately this species is actually reported as a invasive in San Diego county and thus not allowed in the state of California.

Attachments

• 1E76740A-632A-49C8-A94B-E58034176C16.png
    1E76740A-632A-49C8-A94B-E58034176C16.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
baby's breath , and bacopa are another but is only an annual here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My father has a very small pond up in the cold midwest. He found a miniature water lily that is hardy and a prolific bloomer. I think it was yellow. If you want something floating on the surface, to give a little shade and cover for fish, maybe one of these small lilies would work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Helvola is a dwarf water lily that would be fun to grow in a tiny pond. And I love the idea of a pitcher plant bog - how fun would that be!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
What kid (of any age) wouldn't think a carnivorous plant is neat! On the less neat, less adventurous side, there's mint.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mint is on the list of super growers for me it took over from a small sprig in a very short period of time. Carnies are the coolest and one of the most beautiful always showing color and unusual texture

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF YOUR REFERING TO A ROAD SIDE CARNIVAL, IT AMAZES ME ANYONE ALOWS THEIR KIDS ONTO THOSE RIDES.

Ask a Question