Looking for planting recommendations and any tips for this new pond/fall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and bullets, i have been all over this country i have never seen larger herds of deer then in pa

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
deer ate mine also addy . Useless plants here . I cut them all down and gave up on them . Here you have to watch out for plants that snakes like to nest in .Also moles and ground hogs and skunks destroy plants .I feed the deer give them a safe area and straw bedding out in the woods and even a trough with water and still eat my plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it would be quite a challenge to make the steep parts wider I think..it was bad enough getting the liner hidden for the width as is!

I'll check out creeping jenny, thanks
Rolf
Hi so I don’t recommend creeping Jenny or anything that invasive. A few years from now you will be spending all your free time ripping it out! I know as I have been there… There seems to be a lot of area for plants so I would definitely try spacing things out nicely so they have have room to grow. If you think things are too sparse the first few years try adding potted plants that you can fill up spaces with and move around and eventually take out when your plants get bigger. There are a lot of local plants that like their roots wet so you don’t have to buy all expensive wetland plants. I like putting inpatients in the rocks next to the water so they stay wet all the time. They will do fine even in full sun and once temps get a little cooler there will be tons of flowers. The key thing is to experiment and try different plants. Some will like more sun or less sun, dryer or wetter etc so instead of making a big investment right off the bat start slow and see what does well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so I don’t recommend creeping Jenny or anything that invasive. A few years from now you will be spending all your free time ripping it out! I know as I have been there… There seems to be a lot of area for plants so I would definitely try spacing things out nicely so they have have room to grow. If you think things are too sparse the first few years try adding potted plants that you can fill up spaces with and move around and eventually take out when your plants get bigger. There are a lot of local plants that like their roots wet so you don’t have to buy all expensive wetland plants. I like putting inpatients in the rocks next to the water so they stay wet all the time. They will do fine even in full sun and once temps get a little cooler there will be tons of flowers. The key thing is to experiment and try different plants. Some will like more sun or less sun, dryer or wetter etc so instead of making a big investment right off the bat start slow and see what does well.

Busy Lizzies we call em over here, but impatients is a good name! Creeping Jenny is common here..its in our woods along the river bank already, but might be too vigorous for a cultivated area.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's always pachysandra looks great when established and yet easy to remove. tHEY HATE BEING TOUCHED

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Anyone mention Vinca minor or major! It has some pretty little flowers and I had it once in my garden beds but it took over like crazy and hard to get the roots up to get rid of it but if you don't mind it taking over and area it is very hardy here anyways.

Vinca.jpg

https://gardenerdy.com/vinca-major-vs-vinca-minor-whats-difference/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very hardy and magnificent bloomer but very short bloom time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that almost looks like a bed of flox

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
phlox is kinda prickly and smaller flowers . I spread it around my pond and the green when it is not flowering is not bad looking . It gives the frogs a place to hide

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hi there,

I'm not an expert on the plants that will grow in your area, but do have all sorts of opinions about rocks...

I think if this were my project, I would do what @GBBUDD said regarding creating pooling areas to break up the flow, which would not only vary the sound, but also slow the water down and give you more control over the splashing. In addition, I would take all of the rocks that are currently in a vertical position and lay them flat as seen from your viewing position. The idea is that the bedding plane of all the rocks would be more or less the same. I'd also use those amazing large rocks as spillway rocks. You've got one on the right that tapers a bit to one end. That tapered bit would be great as a spillway, with the fatter end serving as a frame rock.

Since it's hard to visualize all this, I've done a quick bit of photoshopping, just to move a few rocks around and show the result. Here's what it would look like with the two larger rocks laid flat and used to create a pooling area and spillways. I've also moved around a few other rocks upstream to make the stream zig-zag a tad more. The more rocks you lay flat like this, the better!
Here's the before and after with just a few rocks laid flat...

pond-still2 copy.jpg

You could do a couple of these pooling areas / zig-zags along the stream with the same width of liner as you have currently. You can also bury some of the remaining large rocks and use them to build retaining walls off to the left and right, thus naturalizing the whole feature and fitting it into the landscape.

Then just add all the great ideas for plants that folks have recommended, and vioila! Instant paradise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm not an expert on the plants that will grow in your area, but do have all sorts of opinions about rocks...

I think if this were my project, I would do what @GBBUDD said regarding creating pooling areas to break up the flow, which would not only vary the sound, but also slow the water down and give you more control over the splashing. In addition, I would take all of the rocks that are currently in a vertical position and lay them flat as seen from your viewing position. The idea is that the bedding plane of all the rocks would be more or less the same. I'd also use those amazing large rocks as spillway rocks. You've got one on the right that tapers a bit to one end. That tapered bit would be great as a spillway, with the fatter end serving as a frame rock.

Since it's hard to visualize all this, I've done a quick bit of photoshopping, just to move a few rocks around and show the result. Here's what it would look like with the two larger rocks laid flat and used to create a pooling area and spillways. I've also moved around a few other rocks upstream to make the stream zig-zag a tad more. The more rocks you lay flat like this, the better!
Here's the before and after with just a few rocks laid flat...

View attachment 147942

You could do a couple of these pooling areas / zig-zags along the stream with the same width of liner as you have currently. You can also bury some of the remaining large rocks and use them to build retaining walls off to the left and right, thus naturalizing the whole feature and fitting it into the landscape.

Then just add all the great ideas for plants that folks have recommended, and vioila! Instant paradise!
Thanks for all that effort....I dont have the equipment to move those larger rocks very well..I have rotated the big one that is not actually in the stream and it looks better! I've also been adding some mossy trunks to soften the edges.

Ask a Question