Looking for reliable inexpensive air pump fo pond 1000 gal

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Mine died , looking for exterior unit ,for covered location ,looked at 3 different types of compressors ,mystifying out put ratings ,serious noise level differences ,really CONFUSED with reviews ,any suggestions from personal experience would be appreciated ,

Reaction score
Multi,

I really like the Gast brand of pumps. They may be expensive as new, but can be found on E-Bay and Craig's List used more cheaply. They are generally very long-life pumps and can be easily repaired with refurbish kits. I have a bunch of the rotary vane pumps, but they are loud and generate heat. I have two of their diaphragm pumps and I really like them. Quiet, but they don't supply a huge volume of air. Possibly quite perfect for most air diffusers. For your size pond, I think the Gast diaphragm pump style would be perfect.

My setup is slightly shy of 1,000 gallons and I intend to use 9" Matala air diffuser discs with either the Gast rotary vane pump or the Gast diaphragm pump.

My reasoning for using the rotary vane pump is that the friction of the vanes generates heat which warms the output air. I can use this in winter months to help keep the pond water warmer and free of ice. In the summer months, I may use the diaphragm pump so that no heat is added and the noise level would be decreased during times when people are outside or have their windows open at the cabin where my pond (tank) will be.

If you use the rotary vane style, you really would have to install some "mufflers" on the intake line to reduce the noise (as well as screen out any dust or bugs, etc) and you would need to build a noise quieting enclosure because they definitely emit a high decibel noise level.

Here is a link to Gast website.

http://www.gastmfg.com/product_overview_compressors_pumps.aspx

Gordy

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Catfish ,I ran out of time ,I bought a EOCP268 elemental solutions ,$39.00 on line 3.48 psi 951 g.p.h.,using 3 - 1/2 pint plastic bottles full of creek gravel w/ over 100 -.004 pin holes sealed in the pond ,fish hovering around all three ,I got the big water pump working too no ice on pond, pool iced solid .I had issues w/ lower pond ,next day after air pump died,leaked ,Bad had to transfer all gold fish to upper pond ,about 100 ,till weather permits fix on lower ,unsure as to pumps longevity ,noisy ,but seems to put out a lot of air ,been five days now! Have not lost any fish ,the pumps look expensive ,I did not look hard yet ,but did not see any pricing ,I had to jump on this and fast .pump was here in 3 days .I used my air brush compressor as a stop gap . This cold weather is miserable to work in anyway, but in a Jam like this, short cutted everything ,All I can do is keep a eye on it till we get a break in the weather ,then Katey bar the door ,Thank you for all you sent ,I'll go over it all and make a plan .You should have seen me punching holes in Boost Bottles w/ My wifes used diabetic test needles ,any port in a storm. Thanks again !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have my pumps running and the heater over my pump .I pulled the pump in closer to the side and left it the other day my hands were to cold .

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
When it's this cold I have trouble breathing ,especially when the wind is up ,sure will be glad when some of that global warming gets to my house. My pumps are submersible ,The leak was the killer .Caught it in time all goldies made it ,just really crowded right now . getting reacquainted ,after being separated last spring .

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Working on a diy vortex separator ,but not polar .Starting to get cabin fever .made it to 50 , here got to play 18 that helped.

Ask a Question