Looking for reliable on-line pond plant suppliers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good morning everyone,

I'm looking for reliable places to purchase pond plants on-line, if any exist. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Around my area it's easy enough to find water hyacinths or lettuce, but beyond that the variety gets limited pretty fast.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've not had great success with buying aquatic plants online. The ones I've tried have all been so small when I got them - very disappointing for the price. The very best plants I got through the mail were shared by a member on this forum - all have done great. You could post a request here to see if anyone is in sharing mode!

Or have you tried your local Craigslist or other local free-share website. This is the time of year that many will be thinking about thinning plants out and most pond people are happy to share. Maybe post your own request and see if you get any responses.

I've also found that many marginal "pond" plants are sold as regular old plants in nurseries - are you looking for anything specific? Some grasses and sedges can grow both marginally in the pond or in the ground for example.

Good luck! Others here have shared their success with purchasing online - hopefully they will chime in!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’be ordered from several places: PONDMEGASTORE, WILLIAM TRICKER, and some random others that I can’t recall. I’ve never had a bad experience, except one time when I ordered duckweed during the heat of summer — and ended up with bags of rotting goo. Don’t recall who this was, but when I contacted them, they replaced the order without problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did you buy try an independent fish- pet store?
Yep. I have. We live in an area that's about an hour from anything. The one independent fish/pet store we had went out of business several years ago, but even they didn't have pond plants. So there's only Petco and PetSmart. I was able to get anacharis from one of the PetSmart stores that actually keeps the aquarium plants in a tank separate from their shared water system tanks, so it was a bit "safer". Years ago one of local Ace Hardware stores offered basic pond plants in season (water lettuce, hyacinth, and an occasional lily), but their stock this year wasn't worth buying.

There is a pond/water garden store an hour from here with a decent selection and some reasonably priced offerings, but they go FAST! And they didn't have the aquatic forget-me-nots and watercress that I was after...

I check Craigslist from time to time, but what I have found is often overpriced, and could be sketchy anyway. We do have a couple big time nurseries, but they also have big time prices. So I stick to Lowes and Home Depot for landscape plants and those items that can be adapted to marginal pond life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here’s a tip - get your watercress from the grocery store produce section. Doesn’t even need roots. Tuck it between some rocks to anchor it and watch it grow!
If only we had a good grocery store with such offerings! We've got Wal-Mart.:eek:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks Stephen. I've used Drs. Foster & Smith for years for dog stuff, and recently some pond supplies. I've been wondering if their liveaquaria branch was any good.

I haven’t used live aquaria for pond plants. However, I have used them for a very long time buying saltwater fish and coral from them. Never had any issue with any live critter, I have received from them. I can say they are top notch when it comes to their saltwater offerings.

they have a live arrival guarantee on their offerings, as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello I'm new to planting a pond and did not have a lot options around where I live. I ordered some from home depot and they came in the mail. Here is a pic just out of the u.p.s truck. Not sure how well they will do pit they made it to my house in one piece.
20180626_160853.jpg

Ask a Question