LOOKING FOR SMALLER-SIZED [DWARF?] HARDY LILIES

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just wondering if any of you have grown any "dwarf" varieties that you were particularly partial to.

Looking at what I have now, and thinking about next year.....

I have 3 in the pond now: one is a "normal to small" size, one is a "dwarf," and one is a tropical [it's huge!]. For the amout of surface area I have, for me to have 3 plants, the smaller sized plants [smaller leaves] are going to look better. Just a thought.

Did some "window shopping" online the other night, but wanted more input.

Reaction score
I have green smoke, yellow dazzler and Panama pacific (tropicals) behaving nicely in a part shade z9 garden. The green smoke is the smallest and the yellow dazzler the most frequent bloomer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Many of the tropical waterlilies are pond hogs, pads up to 24" and plants spreading 10'-15' wide, very poor pad to bloom ratio's (quite often conveniently not mentioned in descriptions)

Some of the more petite trops, which do have decent pad to bloom ratios might include Tina, Islamorada, Madame Ganna Walska, Lavender Lace, St. Louis Gold

There are many more small lilies to choose between among the hardies, choice varieties (those which have sedate spreading habits, prolific blooms) might include Gypsy, Froebeli, Fulgens, Lilacea, Hermine, Aurora among (many) others. Bear in mind many hardies prefer cooler positions in hot climates, tend to go heat dormant in excessively hot sunny positions

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Bear in mind many hardies prefer cooler positions in hot climates, tend to go heat dormant in excessively hot sunny positions
Interesting, my Helvola didn't seem to mind the heat. I highly recommend Helvola (http://www.lilypons.com/Helvola/productinfo/23306/). It's very small (I have one growing in a 15 gallon tub/plastic planter), and blooms very freely (can start in April/May, but mine started in June, and I think is just about done). It supposedly can take lots of shade, but mine was in a lot of sun, and I think the heat and the light helped keep it blooming (along with they fertilizing of tabs).

Some other options from lily pons (I got my Helvola from there): http://www.lilypons.com/Small-Hardy-Waterlilies/products/179/

Reaction score
Islamorado is on my wish list, just based on looks. That is interesting about hardies going dormant in heat. Probably explains why the yellow Pygmy I have in a half barrel in full sun only grows/blooms in spring and fall. I was wondering what I was doing wrong with it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hardies bloom like crazy, heat or no heat. I have noticed the blossoms are larger when it is not as hot and last larger. I don't have any of the pygmy hardies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Islamorado is on my wish list, just based on looks. That is interesting about hardies going dormant in heat. Probably explains why the yellow Pygmy I have in a half barrel in full sun only grows/blooms in spring and fall. I was wondering what I was doing wrong with it.

Islamorada is gorgeous! [It's the bloom in my signature pic, but the pic doesn't do it justice -- I almost gasp whenever I look at one of the blooms!] I am partial to the color purple, anyway, but chose this one 'cause of the BSA camp "Sea Base" which is located in the Keys [Hubby & son were there last summer]. But when I got it, wasn't expecting it to spread so much, so it takes up a TON of surface space.

It is a prolific parent, too, BTW, and I have close to a dozen baby lilies that are already blooming on their own. I'm probably going to lose them this winter as I don't have the space or desire to over-winter a tropical..... :(

Reaction score
Aaagh! Don't loose them! I will happily overwinter them for you!

BTW, husband is a Florida Conch. Born and raised in Key West Florida. His parents were very active in scouting and tell stories all the time about Sea Base.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aaagh! Don't loose them! I will happily overwinter them for you!

BTW, husband is a Florida Conch. Born and raised in Key West Florida. His parents were very active in scouting and tell stories all the time about Sea Base.
Oh, cool! They thouroughly enjoyed Sea Base! I was down to go, too [and another mom], but there were some more scouts who wanted to go so we gave up our spots for them.

If you want, PM me with your address info, and I'll try to get some of the ISLARMORADA'S to you for keeps, when the weather is cooler. I'm a rescuer at heart, and when I saw all those little baby plants, I couldn't help but plant them. But like most rescuers [or are we now called "hoarders"?], I didn't look far enough into the future and consider what I was going to do with them ;)

If anyone else wants a baby tropical "Islamorada," let me know....

Ask a Question