Looking for Solutions...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have small pond with waterfall in "atrium" of home. The water level had been dropping so I diagnosed issue. Water level was only dropping when pump was running. I suspected and then verified what was happening is water is running over waterfall "spillway" and some water is draining back into waterfall rockery (see attached pic). Any suggestions what I can do to ensure all water flows out into pond? as u can see i have hose attached but that was just for test :). Is there something I can do with spillway to get it to flow further out?

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 279

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To start with is the pump being run off that garden hose and does it still divert the water .Where is the water really going to ,the plants or some where else .The wall in the rock water fall is to steep and straight up .Is the rock waterfall put together with foam or loose lay or stacked ,can you unstack it

Reaction score
Country
United States
To start with is the pump being run off that garden hose and does it still divert the water .Where is the water really going to ,the plants or some where else .The wall in the rock water fall is to steep and straight up .Is the rock waterfall put together with foam or loose lay or stacked ,can you unstack it
Need to see if i can unstack. The pump hose typically drains into upper area and then spills over when reaches leve of spillway. I just connected garden hose to pump hose to bypass spillway (I also checked upper area and it help water fine).
When operation with water running over spillway, some water runs back into rock wall face.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can you check the other hose the water was coming from to see if it is leaking from holes in it

Reaction score
Country
United States
can you check the other hose the water was coming from to see if it is leaking from holes in it
Hose is not leaking. green hose u see in pic is attached to the pond hose (with basic coupling) so it the pond hose were leaking, level would still be decreasing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also is that the same pump it was using before or did you change it out for a more powerful one .Old hose can blow out if not big enough and if the water fall was cemented together the cement can eat threw the hose

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Then it has to be running around and behind the rocks You can put paper towels behind the waterfall to see where it gets wet at

Reaction score
Country
United States
same pump and I'm pretty confident it is not the hose. The waterfall structure is built on ground and the water that runs over spillway the runs back into waterfall wall is being lost. I just need some suggestions to divert water off the wall. Like extending and sloping spillway down, ot channeling spillway in some form. Anything i can purchase to do that?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A piece of pvc pipe would work or abs pipe because abs pipe is black it would show less .I am doing a temporary one off my stock tank until I get time
100_4659.JPG
a hose clamp will attach the hose to the pipe

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@twodown02 Hello and welcome.

Could you post a few more pictures of your pond, and from further back and different angles and views?

Tell us a little more about the pond, as well.
  • Is this an indoor or outdoor atrium?
  • How large is the pond?
  • Is it a preform and if so, is it buried?
  • Is the waterfall in some way connected physically to the pond so that any “missing water” is staying in the pond system, or is the water going somewhere else where it can be traced? Do you see any pooling or wet spots where the water could be going?
  • How do you have it set up, as in where is the pump and where is the tubing going from the pump to the waterfall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have video of running fountain but cannot seem to upload. attached are some more pics and if you have hints on how to upload video, u can see the issue :)

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 256

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I se a flat stream of water at the top of the waterfall and looks like the same at the bottom .Are you sure it is a water leak or could it just be evaporation from the splashing of the water .I can see the rocks on the side have water on them .It is pretty by the way .Maybe the pump is to strong ,have you ever had this issue before .The video should be close up and include the sides and the back of it

Ask a Question