Looking for some opinions on spring pond opening timeframes

Reaction score
Hi everyone, the weather is finally starting to warm up (still below norms though) here in southwestern Ontario, Canada. Ice has completely melted off my ponds. I lost a couple of Koi out the 11 I had. Lost a 13 inch one and a 8 inch one, and of course the 2 of them were among my favorite ones. I've got the itch now to start playing around with my pond but am hesitant in case it is to early. I put the pond themometer in yesterday and it is 6 celcius (about 42 F). I have minimal leaves and muck in the ponds currently (leaf net covered the ponds in the fall until the snow started). I leave my pump running all winter. Here is what I would like people to share their opinion on. At what water tempearture do you think it is good to start removing those leaves and muck (as getting them out will mean stirring up the water stressing the fish). At what water temperature do people think it is good to start my waterfall (which in turn starts my filtration for the season as pushing water into my filters results in the waterfalls being activated.) Lastly I want to purchase 2 Koi to replace the recently departed ones. What is the minimal water temp you think I should be at before introducing a couple of new guys.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best time is before winter and this way it can be done slow .But leaves still blow in during the winter also unless you have a net on your pond .I would wait until water is at 40 degrees but with this winter the temps go up and down from one day to the next .When i cleaned the bottom of my pond I put my pump hose in a basket of quilt batting in the waterfall so i could pick up all the bad stuff before it went into the pond .But I live in warmer temps also .You could buy an extra pump and clean and do this so you do not have to turn on your main pump .Then no harm is done and you could use a lower gph pump and clean it real slow ,this way you could clean a little and wait for water to clear up and then clean a little more .This is my way but it may not work for other people

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I don't like to disturb anything until the water temperature reaches -and stays at - 60 F. (15 C.) This gives your fishes' immune system time to get up to speed before you start stressing them. At cooler temps, fish are more likely to succumb to parasites and other afflictions.
John

Reaction score
I prefer to get the pump and filters going as soon as I am no longer concerned that the pond or water in a filter or a hose will freeze. I want to get the filters started ASAP because it allows the benificial bacteria that grow in them, which process ammonia, and nitrite, to start developing ASAP. This will help them establish as the fish are waking up and beginning to produce more ammonia. My fish woke up quickly with the first of the sunny days. They are swimming all over and coming to the top asking for food. Water temp was 40 when they started doing this, now it's been up to 50. I would not put a fish into water more than 10 degrees cooler than what it is used to. I have no scientific reason for that. As mentioned, you should quaranteene the fish anyway so if you do that indoors they will stay warm and by the time QT is over the water will be warm enough to plunk them in. If your fish are appearing active, get going with the cleaning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Once I knew over night temps weren't going to drop below freezing consistently, I started the pump that works my filter. We've had some nice sunny days , and I've netted out leaves that blew in under the net this winter and pulled string algae. I just take my time and do a little at a time on nice days.

Ask a Question