Looking for submersible aquatic plant suggestions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a large garden pond and I would like to plant some completely submersible aquatic plants in the pond.

I currently have Carolina Cabomba and moneywort growing in the pond, however, I would like to add more species but I am having a hard time finding other plants that will work. I am in zone 9b. I do not want any plants that grow up to the waters surface as they get in the way of debris flow to the skimmers (iris, lily, etc.)

Ideally I would like something like a low growing grass that fry can hide in.

Pond depth varies from 8 feet to 15 inches
Temp varies from 50-72 degrees throughout the year
21,000 gallons
Fish are bluegill, pumpkin seed, catfish, black crappie, small and large mouth
bass, sculpin, trout, turtles, crawdads, bull frogs
True filtration 14,000 gph

Does anyone have any suggestions out there? Thank you much

Attachments

• 20150617_121914-1.jpg
    20150617_121914-1.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 20150629_134329.jpg
    20150629_134329.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 20150705_134813.jpg
    20150705_134813.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 276
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 234

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like Vallisneria, if I spelled it correctly. Another name for it is "Eel grass." It comes in a straight and a corkscrew variety. Not sure about its depth requirements, but I know it does better with sunlight. Looks really cool underwater once it grows & fills in -- it "waves" with water currents. Baby fish would love it!

image.jpg

Is this your personal pond? From the pics it looked like a public area. Really nice!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I like Vallisneria, if I spelled it correctly. Another name for it is "Eel grass." It comes in a straight and a corkscrew variety. Not sure about its depth requirements, but I know it does better with sunlight. Looks really cool underwater once it grows & fills in -- it "waves" with water currents. Baby fish would love it!

View attachment 85193

Is this your personal pond? From the pics it looked like a public area. Really nice!

This is the best choice for a deeper pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Anacharis is a great submerged plant. It can grow a little higher if the conditions are right. My goldfish like to nip at it which I think keeps it from getting to high. I did hornwart this year for the first time. That gets more bushy and doesn't seem to grow as high.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone tried any aquatic ground covers with any success?

Also, where would a good place be to buy some of the Vallisneria

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have tried creeping jenny underwater but it just grows vertically, it does not act like a ground cover.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So you mean something that grows as ground cover for the bottom of the pond? I misunderstood, lol. I didn't know there were such things, I'll be curious about the responses. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So you mean something that grows as ground cover for the bottom of the pond? I misunderstood, lol. I didn't know there were such things, I'll be curious about the responses. :)
I don't know of anything either except something in that Valisneria family. Those send out runners to make new plants so would sort of be a ground cover type plant. There might be shorter varieties. I think most of us depend on our blanket algae to serve that purpose, LOL.

Ask a Question