Looking for Yellow Flag Iris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would like to add some yellow flag irises to my pond. If you have some, please let me know how much you want for them.

If anyone is interested in trading, I have plenty of Black Flowering Sedge.

Thanks for your help.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Personally, I would not recommend it.
It's banned here in Wisconsin and other states because it's extremely invasive. It can escape the garden and spread in the wild, taking over areas where natural vegetation grows. I don't know if it's banned in VA, but it is on VA's "highly invasive" list, which it shares with many of the worst invasive species in the country. Be cautious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand. They will be put into a pot in the pond, so there is little chance it will be able to escape. I appreciate your concern.

As far as I can tell, it is not banned here.

Your pond and flower garden are beautiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would offer you some of mine, but the iris borers have been so bad here that I would hesitate to send them anywhere. I lost about 2/3 of my yellow flag last year to borers. And with the mild winter we had, I've been watching for signs we have them again this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sorry you are having problems with your irises. I've never even heard of iris borers. I hope they don't come this direction.

Thanks for considering this, and thanks also for not wanting to send infected plants. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch we could do a swap, sent you a message

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was checking mine out today and I can already see we are infested again The leaves have the telltale signs of borers. Plus the goldfish spawning have been knocking clumps off, which normally would be next to impossible. I tried to save it last year, but may have to just ditch it and start over.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I pulled mine out of the bog when we rebuilt it. The iris had taken over. I moved it to the area behind the pond and it was doing great. This year there are only 2 small pieces. Think the deer got them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled mine out of the bog when we rebuilt it. The iris had taken over.
Every year I yank clumps of it. I keep it in one area of the bog, right now around 2 feet by about 1 foot. I tossed some down by a fence, no planting and it is growing! The deer inhale my iris, day lilies. I added more food to their snack table.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lisak, sorry you are having those problems with your irises. I hope you find a solution.

My biggest problem is aphids. Anyone know how to permanently get rid of those? Every time I beat them back in one place, they crop up in another. It's getting pretty darned frustrating. I've read that marigolds will repel them, so I'm going out today to get about a truckload of marigolds and put them everywhere! :)

I didn't realize that deer would eat irises. I have a lot to learn!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not a big deal, really. I'm at the point with my pond (and most of my garden to be honest) that if one thing dies, it just makes room for something else. I don't fight too hard to keep anything alive - I'll give them good soil and plenty of water and the rest is up to the plants. And honestly that clump of irises was getting rather large. Nature is just giving me a little help getting rid of it!

I've always just used a good blast of water to knock down aphids. Obviously ladybugs love them and I know people who buy ladybugs and release them into the garden, but I've never had a big enough issue with them that it got to that point. Marigolds do seem to work, as will many fragrant herbs like cilantro or fennel. Plants in the garlic family also work to keep them away. You can also plant "trap plants" - sunflowers are a good one. Aphids love them, but they can't really hurt them as they are so big. Just keep them away from your susceptible plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel the same way you do. I'll do what I can for the plants, but I'm not going to too much trouble if they don't want to live here. As you said, there are always others that will thrive in those places.

Thanks for the tips on the aphids. I blasted them with water today, so I hope that at least slows them down for a while.

I used to have sunflowers volunteering all the time, but they have all faded away now. Maybe that's why I'm having so many aphids. I may have to plant more sunflowers. Thanks again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm at the point with my pond (and most of my garden to be honest) that if one thing dies, it just makes room for something else. I don't fight too hard to keep anything alive
lol me too. I don't even water them. I find most plants can handle a drought then back to wet. I used to haul a hose around (hard to do with our land) then quit even doing that. I tell them live or die your choice. I have tons of self seeders that gladly come back. To some my yard looks unkempt, weedy, but all the weedy stuff has pretty flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yup, same attitude here. It's 'tough love' for the plants, all the way! I have way too much garden to take care of to have to be dealing with fussy, prima-donna plants that don't want to do well.

Ask a Question