Loosing fish daily

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Need some help. My pond is approximately 3000 gallons with bio water fall, skimmer and large bog. All my water parameters are where they should be. This is my 3rd summer for the pond and about 1 week ago i started losing fish, average 2 a day. It was a couple of my largest, thought maybe they were just old. Only have comets but some were 12+” long. This is the first time I’ve ever had an issue! Noticed white spots on some of the fish, so did a 25% water change and started adding Knockout Plus to treat for ich 4 days ago. About a week before This started, we had great weather, in 70’s and then a week of cold and frost- not sure if the sudden temp change stresses them out. Haven’t added new fish in over a year. May only have 20 2-4” fish left!

Attachments

• 333613D2-CE5E-4902-8482-C721393819E8.jpeg
    333613D2-CE5E-4902-8482-C721393819E8.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh gosh, I'm sorry! We went through this last year. Out of desperation I treated with Prazi for parasites and the die off stopped almost immediately. Our guess was the pair of ducks who visited the pond in early spring brought some unwanted guests. The dead fish looked absolutely perfect - not a mark, no bloating, eyes were clear. The only symptom was they would suddenly be at the top of the pond, floating listlessly, and within an hour would be dead.

We guessed parasites in our case because of the way the fish died two or three at at time. If they all die fast you suspect some kind of poisoning or oxygen issue.

I hope you figure it out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry :( I see red streaking on the tail of one of the fish...it looks like there could be some redness underneath the scales too....but hard to tell from the picture.

It also looks like there are some greenish spots on the tail and an area of the body. This could be:

"The fungus Saprolegnia is a secondary invader of wounds/ulcers. The fungus is white but can become discoloured with algae. Malachite green is effective against the fungus howver, you will find there is an underlying ulcer, which will need treating." Quote from a post on Koiphen website.

Saprolegnia is commonly referred to as SAP, when mentioned in articles. I have no personal experience with this condition, but if these fish were mine, I'd be researching more about this condition and it's treatment.

Ask a Question