Loosing my fish to predators!!!!

bob

Reaction score
For the last year we have lost several fish to a predator. I blamed a cat or a racoon but could never catch anything in the act. We now are pretty sure what the predator is, a heron. This past week we twice caught a heron standing beside the pond and then wading. At this point all of our larger fish are gone. I'm sure others have this problem, what do you do? If nothing else I may stretch some monofiliment fish line across the pond a few times in a criscross fashion.

Any suggestions? We hate loosing our fish.

Reaction score
1. Depth of pool. If the pool is atleast 3 feet deep at the edges then the heroning shouldn't be able to get to the fish at the bottom of the pool. Their legs don't bend.

2. Decoy fish that float towards the top, plastic. The bird will trying eating it and find that he can't a may give up on the real fish.

3. Motion activated sprinklers might help.

The only problem with the net is that when you remove it the bird will probably return.

Just some ideas. Hope they help.

bob

Reaction score
Thanks. May try the plastic fish. We do have a fountain but it tended to clog with some algea so I took the fountain part off and use it as a bubbler. The pond is not deep and to dig deeper would require a complete redo.

Someone had mentioned that heron are not a social animal and that placing a plastic heron would keep the live ones away.

Are heron a proteced species?

Reaction score
You mught get lucky by placing another bird there, it could make the other bird think that there is already another bird there and it would move on. I have no idea if they are a protected species.

Reaction score
This article is well worth the read if you have a large pond, are near natural waterways or have ever lost a fish to a snacker! Fall is the time year that many predators are looking for an easy meal. Dealing with them can stump even the experienced pond owner. This article gives great tips on everything from aphids to mink. http://www.richdeer3.com/site/1566246/page/924686 Wildlife Associated with Water Gardens Is just one of the many of our articles are written by my personal friend Jamie Beyer. Jamie is a vital part of the Central Iowa Water Garden Association, founder and past president. Jamie is one of the Midwest's foremost experts on water gardening. In addition to his frequent lectures and published articles he owns Midwest Waterscapes, Boone, Iowa. More of his work can be found in "All About Garden Pools and Fountains" which he co-authored with Veronica Fowler. His work is also featured in the Summer issue of Pondkeeper. He is a Master gardener and has a Master degree is Fish and Wildlife Biology.
Jamie Beyer's consulting and installation firm Midwest Waterscapes has installed over 500 water features since the late 80'sJamie Beyer can be emailed at (e-mail address removed). Please be sure to tell him Richdeer3 Pond Supplies sent you.
If you need immediate help for a problem please call me at 641-750-3062 or Jamie at 515-433-0194.

Reaction score
bob said:
Are heron a proteced species?

Yes, they are
I read an article were a breeder in calif. had a problem with them. They tried the heron decoy, and the bird was seen circleing above but not landind for two weeks, getting closer to the ground every day. He eventually started eating fish again. So the breeder said at of lack of anything else to try he thought he would threaten the bird. so he knocked the decoy over. The bird did not come back.
Just thought it was funny.
Good luck
:banghead3:

Reaction score
That's too cute!! I have heard of them trying to mate with a decoy so if you use one be sure to move it around alot. Good Luck, Gail

Reaction score
I have had a decoy great blue heron in my pond for 10 years and (knock on wood) I have lost no fish to herons. I have only seen 1 heron lite by the pond and it was a baby, all fuzzy headed, and I scared him away and he hasn't been back. I recently added a floating plastic alligator cuz I liked him and maybe he is a deterent also. I am also surrounded by canals and there are herons everywhere! Yes, they are protected in Florida. So, it worked for me, it may be worth a try! Good luck.

Reaction score
We used to have a pond on a flyway between a heron rookery and the river that the used to feed. Talk about a setup. We were fortunate that our dogs liked to chase Herons so there was no need to use other measures.

Reaction score
Just as an aside we also used to get the occasional wood duck diving in for a swim. It was a blast watching these guys first circle then dive in at high speed, drop the "flaps' and land like an F-16! Not sure if they might have helped keep the Herons at bay.

Ask a Question