Losing my first koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not out of the woods yet seems to be three separate issues going on one has an abscess, two have some minor bruising and I am having a hard time finding a local expert that is not trying to push mechanical filtration systems or sell me products unrelated to treating my poor fish. I added 64oz of stress coat and I will be salt dipping and brushing the ones that are noticeably not well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am having a hard time finding a local expert that is not trying to push mechanical filtration systems or sell me products unrelated to treating my poor fish

I was going to mention something similar when the suggestion was made to find an "expert". Many of those so called experts are just that - sales people. Not that I am opposed to people selling things, but I don't think it will help. And many koi experts will tell you that your pond is built wrong and that's the problem.

Hang in there - I don't want to say you expected this, but you kind of did anticipate that it might happen. Doesn't make it any easier, I know. I wonder if these injuries are related to being caught and moved - koi can do a lot of damage to themselves when they are stressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello. Hope all is well with your pond. How are you're lovely fish, I do hope they are doing good, and settled in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was going to mention something similar when the suggestion was made to find an "expert". Many of those so called experts are just that - sales people. Not that I am opposed to people selling things, but I don't think it will help. And many koi experts will tell you that your pond is built wrong and that's the problem.

Hang in there - I don't want to say you expected this, but you kind of did anticipate that it might happen. Doesn't make it any easier, I know. I wonder if these injuries are related to being caught and moved - koi can do a lot of damage to themselves when they are stressed.

This observation by Lisak1 is very astute. Vendors are not koi experts. They are vendors who may know something that may be true. Sometimes that can be said of veternarians too.

With that opinion based on experiences, the pond’s construction, the Mechanicals, and the cleaning schedule may be contributory. A wound can be mechanically inflicted or can be parasite induced. Usually in a short time parasitic infections afflict one or two fish to the point of a lesion and not a group. Environmental causes affect a larger group more quickly. A ground water intrusion for example can impact everyone simultaneously. You have several fish involved, but the length of time involved is unclear. A club’s koi health advisor is neutral and is not permitted to charge for services. That may be a way of sorting this out.

The conclusion that the ventral wound is parasitic is premature. You need a wet mount scraping and possibly a gill clip to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not sure where you live, but see if there is a koi club in your vicinity.....I believe they'll be of more help then experts pushing filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Very true, we did anticipate losing at least one. And knew that the method used to capture and transport them had a great amount of opportunity in it. One thing I would recommend if anyone finds themself in a similar situation would be to do a salt dip to eliminate any parasites and increase the production of slime coat. 1 cup per 20 gallons in a containment separate from the pond, needs to be real and pure salt. I used morton's solar salt and salted the 5 koi that showed signs of potential Infection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just wondering how the rest of your fish are doing? Hope all is well and they are getting more settled in, and that your pond is coping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just wondering how the rest of your fish are doing? Hope all is well and they are getting more settled in, and that your pond is coping.
Thank you for asking. They seem to be doing much better. They look more relaxed. Not sure how to explain that better. But they are not flashing against the side of the pond and they are moving in a smoother fashion. I think we are going in the right direction. I feel like the salt baths of the ones we were worried about, the melafix medication, and the extra water agitation has helped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That really is good news. Those fish are just lovely, I'm sure your a little relieved also. Hopefully all will continue on the right path.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes very relieved but still on pins and needles a little bit. I will be happy when I no longer need to feel panicky everyday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know the feeling, I just showed your video to my son as he wanted to see how big our fish would become. They do look calm.

Ask a Question