losing some 4 wk old fry any suggestions?

Reaction score
This is my first experience with koi fry. Have them in the house separated in two different aquariums. Have lost 4 in the last 3 days, from both tanks. These have been the larger ones.. I have done quite a few water changes and had started the feeding with the egg yolks as I read and then switched to powdered commercial koi food and crumbled flakes for the past 3 weeks or so. I notice they start swimming sideways and their tails seem to kink upwards, I've removed them as soon as I see this to another quarantine tank. I'm not sure if it is coincidental or not but it seems I'm seeing this after a feeding. Could I be feeding too much, or maybe not enough? Its so hard to tell with the different sizes and quantity of them. I've been feeding twice a day. We don't have a large pet store nearby to get the brine shrimp, but I thought I might get some the next time I'm in the city. Perhaps they are not getting enough nutrition in the ground up koi food? Its so sad to watch this happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Connie

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have always fed mine small fry food then smashed reg food then sm pellets
When the fry are small you will have some losses
How big are the fry

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. The ones that I've lost have been the larger ones in the tanks, I would say about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Others in the tanks are much smaller. I still have about 6 that are about that same size, so I guess it will be interesting if they start to go downhill as well. I find it strange that we've gotten this far without losing any and then just in the past three days we're in some sort of trouble. I added a little pinch of koi clay in one of the tanks tonight to see if its any help.

Ask a Question