Losing water each 24 hours

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a preformed kidney-shaped liner with a shelf. We've had it about four years. We dug the trench ourselves and layed the form on dirt while leveling it off. After the winter in MD, where we had a small heater in the pond to prevent ice forming and protect the fish, we drained the pond and hand-cleaned all surfaces. We didn't see any obvious tears or breaks. After filling it near the top we notice a drop in the water level every day. My wife thinks this is due to evaporation. I don't think that much water can evaporate in a 24 hr period.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4324.JPG
    IMG_4324.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Mark!
It sounds like a leak unless you're having very dry and windy weather.
What size is the pond?
You could just wait until the water level drops to where the crack is located.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Look around for wet, the other thing to do is let it drop until it levels out. I had two preforms, both developed cracks right at the curve of the shelf. I have since then tossed and put in a piece of liner.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Mark!
It sounds like a leak unless you're having very dry and windy weather.
What size is the pond?
You could just wait until the water level drops to where the crack is located.
It has been dry and windy here in Frederick, md not sure what part of MD they are at. My pond loses enough I need to add water ever 3-4 days right now.

But that amount sort of looks like a leak, maybe lol

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
default_welcome38gk.gif

If that picture is after 24 hours, that's not evaporation. Looks like Mitch and Addy have given you some good advice. Keep us posted.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sometimes wonder why they still sell these preforms .Most plastic these days is made of recycled plastic and is weaker .Even aluminum is recycled and now when you pick up a can you really notice how easy it is to crush compared to 30 years ago .Recycling is good but makes a weaker product .Even tires are recycled and now earth ship builders are having problems getting them

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_4325.JPG
View attachment 98804

If that picture is after 24 hours, that's not evaporation. Looks like Mitch and Addy have given you some good advice. Keep us posted.

Great advice guys. We're gonna wait and see how low it drops without adding water. It kept a water level all winter just below the shelf. We bought the preform at LillyPonds in MD. I wrote to them to see what they thought. Wondering about a warranty on this.
I sometimes wonder why they still sell these preforms .Most plastic these days is made of recycled plastic and is weaker .Even aluminum is recycled and now when you pick up a can you really notice how easy it is to crush compared to 30 years ago .Recycling is good but makes a weaker product .Even tires are recycled and now earth ship builders are having problems getting them

Water level continued to drop overnight. Notice the red lines we drew on a rock less than 24 hrs ago. My thought is to buy a flexible liner, drain the pond, and lay the liner over the pre-formed liner. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 205

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most only last 4 to 6 years old most times .I have seen some last longer that are neglected .I leaned on the inside edge of the one I had and it cracked and it was only 3 years old .I was going to use it as a water feature after I built the bigger pond .I got another one at the flea market a couple of months ago that I am going to use as one .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Problem solved (I hope). Went to local garden shop with aqua area. Spoke to a pond guy. He suggested a heavy rubber liner with a 2" layer of sand at the bottom of the pre-formed liner which we were leaving in place. Also suggested an underlayment to help protect the liner.

Brought everything home and started draining. My wife saw the crack. It was in an area almost impossible to repair so we didn't feel too bad about the $100 spent today.

Just finished refilling and dumped the fish back in. Other than the creases this should work out well. Thx for all the input!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Long term, you will be much happier with that solution. A liner will be much more durable for you, and you didn't have to start over from scratch. Definitely good advice from your garden shop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Problem solved (I hope). Went to local garden shop with aqua area. Spoke to a pond guy. He suggested a heavy rubber liner with a 2" layer of sand at the bottom of the pre-formed liner which we were leaving in place. Also suggested an underlayment to help protect the liner.

Brought everything home and started draining. My wife saw the crack. It was in an area almost impossible to repair so we didn't feel too bad about the $100 spent today.

Just finished refilling and dumped the fish back in. Other than the creases this should work out well. Thx for all the input!!
nice , u can remove old pond too

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are leaving the old pond and the crack is not low enough to keep water out of the old pond base, you might want to drill some holes in it. You would not want water to get between the old pond and the new liner.
I have always pulled the old preform pond dug the new pond deeper. It is easier to hide the edge of a liner if you dig in a small shelf to set rocks on.

Ask a Question