Losing Water

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have a Clearwater filter with built in UV with 2 tubes coming from it back into the pond. When my filter blocks the water comes over the side causing me to lose water. I changed the filter pads etc 2 days ago came home from work today and i have lost about 7 inches of water first thing i did was check the filter box and it is ok not leaking. I dont know where else to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Refill and turn off the pump and see if it continues to leak. If so, you know the liner has leak. It will empty to the leak. If no leak, it's a broken hose,lose connection etc...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure filters are known to leak .Better off building your own .I am just guessing on it being pressure one .Could a hose be damaged or could a fitting be loose or could the pump be to big and waterflow be to much for the filter .If the pump is to big then you may have to split the water coming from the pump and divert it back to the pond .Helps also add air to the water

Attachments

• pond march 21 2014 008.JPG
    pond march 21 2014 008.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 178
Reaction score
Hi Sissy no its not a pressure filter its a gravity one where it fills up through the filtration then flows over and out through the pipes back into the pond.

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I don't really like leaving the pump off for very long. Can you just keep the pump running in the pond, but not have the hose hooked up to the pump? That will help keep the pond circulating.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Then your pump may need to be diverted to just in the pond .Has it worked before on the same pump or have you changed pumps

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all you need is a sump pump hose and a clamp .How many gph is your pump .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can I ask where your pump is located .Aerator will keep your fish happy if you have to turn off your pump to see where the leak is .Feel around to see if there are any wet areas .What kind of liner and how old is it .I just replaced my liner because a mole chewed through it

Reaction score
The liner is 3 years old it had a lifetime guarantee on it the filter i am using is a Oasis Clear Pond 25 which is 25000 litres my pond size is 10ft x 10ft x 3.5ft deep if this helps

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd suggest filling the pond to its desired depth, mark the water level, disconnect the pump from the filter, run the pump in the pond for approximately 12 hrs, check the water level again. If the water level hasn't changed, then your leak is either at your filter, or beyond the pond perimeter prior to mating to the filter.

I don't think you've got a liner leak. Inspect the liner at the 7" level you were speaking of, if there is a hole/tear in the liner, the liner won't leak beyond that depth (if in fact you have a hole/tear). It's most likely something pretty simple.

From the posts above, all the avenues are pretty well covered as to your dilemma.

Ask a Question