Losing water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi, my pond is losing about an inch of water every 5 days? It's been REALLY hot here. This morning I topped off the pond- let the hose run at a slow trickle for about 30 minutes (I used dechlor too.) I filled it until this iris pot was covered at the lip closest to the water. Now I can see that it will be above the waterline soon. I've also attached a pic of the liner that shows where the water line was earlier and where it is now. It is 80 degrees here and 62% humidity. I recently added some siberian iris to the pond in the last couple of days. Do they use a lot of water?

I have checked all plumbing, liner edges, etc and there are NO leaks. I just built this pond and put underlayment under the liner, so I doubt it's the liner. Could it just be evaporation? I have a 20" waterfall spill and an aerator. Thanks for any help or advice!

IMG_7622.jpg
IMG_7623.jpg
IMG_7624.jpg
IMG_7625.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m not an expert.....but an inch in 5 days doesn’t sound bad. I would just keep an eye on things, and look for damp spots in the soil around the pond. Yes, some plants are water hogs. Also, your big rocks could be contributing to evaporation, as well as splashing from the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You'll soon learn what's normal water loss for your pond - every climate, every microclimate, every pond is different.

Pond plants don't "use" as much water as they "breathe out" a lot of water. They are constantly taking up water from your pond and expelling it into the atmosphere. A fully planted pond and/or bog can take up A LOT of water in the course of a day -especially when it's hot, dry, and/or windy.

Also - that first pot of irises... I would get those a bit higher out of the water. They'll grow like that but they probably won't bloom with the crown of the plant under water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wind here really causes a big lose of water .My normal wind here up on a hill is 10 to 25 mph and rarely gets under that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My neighbor said he's been losing water as well because it's so hot. I'm not going to worry about it any more! Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I wish I had a dollar for every new pond owner who posts "I THINK I HAVE A LEAK!". Myself included! Our minds always go to the worst place first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I wish I had a dollar for every new pond owner who posts "I THINK I HAVE A LEAK!". Myself included! Our minds always go to the worst place first.

LOL!!! Thank you for the reassurance! We have a giant inground pool that we inherited from really crappy previous owners. We were losing water by the inch in a 36x18 pool. We redid all the plumbing, put in a new liner and new patio. It finally stopped but I was a mess for months until we got it fixed. I have water PTSD.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hear you! We pay dearly for our water, so the last thing I want to do is pay to fill the pond. Whenever it rains good and hard we shout "FREE POND FILL UP!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
fac
I hear you! We pay dearly for our water, so the last thing I want to do is pay to fill the pond. Whenever it rains good and hard we shout "FREE POND FILL UP!"

I'm totally getting a rain barrel tomorrow....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As others said, an inch every five days seems well within the bounds of "normal".
Heck i lost more then an inch in 5 days with my Indoor planted tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with others 1" in 5 days is normal. now if it was 5" in 1 day then i'd be worried

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Found the leak!!!

Was rockscaping under my waterfall filter to make the sound more like a river. Stuck my hand behind where the liner attaches to the waterfall and the underlayment was soaked. Put my hand near the seam and sure enough- drip, drip, drip. Shut off the waterfall for the day. Usually on a day like this I'd already be down a half an inch at least by now. Down not ONE drop today.

Breathing a sigh of relief. I have had nightmares about having to rip out the liner and start over.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found the leak!!!

Was rockscaping under my waterfall filter to make the sound more like a river. Stuck my hand behind where the liner attaches to the waterfall and the underlayment was soaked. Put my hand near the seam and sure enough- drip, drip, drip. Shut off the waterfall for the day. Usually on a day like this I'd already be down a half an inch at least by now. Down not ONE drop today.

Breathing a sigh of relief. I have had nightmares about having to rip out the liner and start over.....
I feel your almost pain

Ask a Question