Losing water

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had to shut my pond down today due to the water level dropping to low for the skimmer to take in any water. I am not sure what is causing this but could be a couple of things. It has been quite windy here for the last several days and the water could be evaporating and even blowing off the falls causing even more evaporation. My parents dog also fell in the pond and had a very hard time getting out, I inspected the liner the best I could that night and only saw what looked like where his claws were slipping on the algae but I did not see any tears. I will have to inspect this better today to see if the liner is ok. I have a hard time believing his claws would have ripped the liner though so I am thinking that all the wind is causing evaporation, has anyone else noticed a lot of evaporation in their ponds lately?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It has been windy here and the two waterfalls were blowing off a fine mist and water went down around 2 inches in the last week and had to just adjust the flow to slow water down and had to disconnect spitters even before that .I had a dog slice my liner this past summer and I looked at doggies claws and they were sharp and very hard .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It has been extremely windy here for the last week or so, getting really tired of it, but do like that it's 60 degrees this morning. My waterfall doesn't have much drop, except into the pond, and there isn't any way that the water could splash far enough to get out of the pond. In fact, we have had enough rain lately, coming in 1-1.5" at a time at least once a week, that I've actually had to lower my pond level so the water is not ABOVE my skimmer. :) Good luck figuring out your problem. I hope it's the wind, you can always put something up temporary to shield it so it doesn't blow off the waterfall. :)

Reaction score
I had to shut my pond down today due to the water level dropping to low for the skimmer to take in any water. I am not sure what is causing this but could be a couple of things. It has been quite windy here for the last several days and the water could be evaporating and even blowing off the falls causing even more evaporation. My parents dog also fell in the pond and had a very hard time getting out, I inspected the liner the best I could that night and only saw what looked like where his claws were slipping on the algae but I did not see any tears. I will have to inspect this better today to see if the liner is ok. I have a hard time believing his claws would have ripped the liner though so I am thinking that all the wind is causing evaporation, has anyone else noticed a lot of evaporation in their ponds lately?

My liner was ripped by a dog. I knew that was what caused the leakage but even then it took ages to find the tear. I had to leave the pond for 3 weeks until the water level stopped dropping then went around the edges 3 times feeling for the rip. I still couldn't find it but luckily my OH did, even then it was about 2" below the water line.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hey sorry to hear of your delema had simlar problem a while back ,mine was small tear in top pond , with dog check deep, hind legs position on liner in pond .Used BRITISH KING JUST FIX IT its like putty in two parts ....mould both together and apply, even under water, worked for me. ....hope it helps

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, check closely for the rip/tear. I hope it's from the wind as well but this has happened to me twice that a dog has torn a liner. The older the liner is the more easily it can get ripped. Like started above both times I let the water level drop until it stopped and started looking, each time it was still below the water line by about a 1.5"-2" below where the water stopped falling. I was losing water in my pond as well and thought it was evaporation. Went in the pond to do some maintance and while moving things around and pulling a few Cull koi one of my rocks on the side started sliding down. when I lifted it to put it back in place I found where my water was going. During the tropical storm this year water got behind the liner and floated it up in places. I guess this caused the liner to slide away from the edge and the edge of the liner had slipped below water level. a little tugging and back fill and I got it set back in place and lord and behold, I went from turning the auto fill on all the time to once a week for about an hour and a half a week. Just got this month's water bill in and my water usage went down by 8,000-10,000 gallons! Now I'm sure some of that was due to not having to water potted plants as much but a good bit was the water going in the pond. I was surprised at how I could notice on the water bill though the increase in usage from the time of the storm to the time I got the liner reinstalled correctly. VERY noticable on the usage chart of the water bill! Not so much on the cost. Cost wise in only changed the water bill by about, $8
A little tip I found works pretty good when looking for a leak, If you know of a suspected area, instead of feeling for a tear or split, push the liner toward the dirt banking, If there is a leak, water will retain behind the liner. Pushing the liner in will cause the muddy water behind the liner to move in and out through the split causing a small amount of muddy water to appear. if you go along the edges and do this before actually stirring up the pond a good bit of the time it will show up and show you where the tear is. the key to getting this to work is balancing the water both behind the liner as well as in the pond. (letting the pond drop until it stabalizes) If the tear is a inch or two above or below the water line it's a lot easier to spot the muddy water coming into the main body of water, if the tear is a good bit deeper the water pressure in the pond actually causes a seal near the tear and makes it harder to spot.
Good luck, Again, I hope it's evaporation! not a tear!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear tmann. Wind can really create evaporation. I'd wait and see how it goes when wind dies down. If it's a tear water will only go down as far as where the hole is and then you can check all around at that level. If wind just gotta deal w/ it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
After close inspection and freezing my arms off in the cold water there does not appear to be a tear in the liner. I checked around the pond and had quite a few leaves in the creek causing it to slightly dam up sections but not enough to go over the liner, so I am leaning on the wind blowing some water off the falls and evaporation. I have it marked and will watch and see how quick it drops. I was checking around my falls and seems as though there is a bit of water on the surrounding rocks. Thanks for the input.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bet tmann is getting the torrential rains that are headed my way late tonight and tomorrow .We are supposed to get over 2 inches of rain with winds gusting around 60 mph .The storm is coming across the whole U.S.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy is right we had a ton of rain last night and today so will have to wait and see a few days. The winds have finally died down too. Sissy you better batton down the hatches and get ready for some strong wind, lightning galore, and heavy rain. :umbrella:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, hope you guys are all ok! You won't have to worry about losing water, Todd, sounds like you got a replenishment. Effingham, where I work, got an inch of rain in 10 minutes couple of nights ago, I got nothing. :) Hope you all get through it without any damage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we got a heavy down pour and a lot of wind at 7 pm and now at 9:23 it is thundering out ,but don't see any lightning .This morning heavy fog as temps went up to 70 and then went down and now went back up .This storm is weird .Pond is really full

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well I don't think I have a leak in the pond as the water level hasn't dropped today and it's been two days since it last rained. So it must be the wind that is evaporating it off the falls. It is once again windy here and the rocks around the falls are quite wet where they are usually drier so this is going to be my theory. I am just tired of this wind.....not to mention all the leaves that are in the pond.

Ask a Question