Lost 2 fish in 2 weeks. What is going on?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have 2 small coy ponds that interconnect with a small waterfall. For 10 years I had 2 or 3 that died from causes unknown. The rest were eaten. When I had the pond cleaned about 4 months ago I made sure that only coy would be put in. Now I've added about 7 to a smaller cast of 4 due to animals but now I've got plenty of security via a blue heron net yet I've found 2 dead, both added about a month ago about 2 weeks apart. I checked the water with testing strips and found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm worried about my other fish. Both were white medium sized coy if it matters. I have a few larger and a few smaller than the ones that died. Zero visible marks on either of them.

Reaction score
Wish I had a dime for every time someone posted that they tested their water and it was "OK". Then, after many posts asking for the actual numbers to be posted the numbers were not good.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say, "two small koi ponds," how small are you talking about? And how many koi do you have, total? How big are they? I had trouble following your note.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so true waterbug and when you get down to the nitty gritty you always find somethig is wrong with either one or two of them.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt is your pond netted ?
Koi are known to sometimes foget where they are and jump to see where things are or misjudge the leap for a tasty fly and the next thng you know you find them dead by the side of the pond.
However most leaps can have parasitic overtones in that they have something causing them to flash upwards from the side of the pond trying to rub themselves if its a good flash and they get speed up they could then not meaning to leave the water completely I've acctually witnessed this when helping my friend Matt out with his koi who had ich at the time, due in part for not QTing his koi when they first arrived at his pond..
It was quickly gathered up and was put back in the pond with no harm done.
Have you noticed any flashing amongst your other koi ?
We have a net that fits tight against the top of the pond one to sop preditors and two for the very thing I mentioned to stop anyone take a flying leap.
Learn to read your koi they can tell you one hell of alott.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
pond is netted. Impossible for anything to get in.

Now we have about 7 fish all coy nothing bigger than about 8 inches

pic of ponds:

2013-03-16_10-42-11_27_zps26ecfa99.jpg

Reaction score
So, to recap, you found 2 dead fish and the pond is netted. That's a mystery. It's almost like the two things aren't related. At all. Not even remotely.

Reaction score
Tex ...

#1 - throw out the test strips and go get liquid. I have first hand experience with the strips being un reliable at best.

#2 - the ponds are cute, but way too small for koi ... with outstanding filtration, you may be able to get away with it for awhile, but it really is too small. Think of yourself living in a bathroom 24/7 ,, not much room to hide or explore,

#3 - in such a small area, my bets would be either you bought unhealthy fish, or your water quality isnt as good as you think it is. Sorry:-(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
high alkaline is the only thing I could find but we've had these ponds over 12 years with fish

Ask a Question