Lost 4 fish this weekend..

Reaction score
My wife woke me up and said our 6 inch sarassa comet jumped out of the pond. When I looked at it it was 10 feet away from the pond and there was no way it jumped that far. I noticed it had a puncture/claw mark on it but was surprised nothing at it, just sitting there. Baffled since I had not had any issues with raccoons or any other predators. I did notice a hole on the bottom of my fence so I put a retaining wall block there thinking a racoon got in that way. The fish was lying right near that hole in the fence.

The next day I woke up and 2 shubunkins and my 10 inch koi are now gone and fish are now spooked. So I cut the bottoms off of two 5 gallon buckets and weighed them down and placed flag stone on top to make more hiding spots for my remaining 2 kois and shubie and setup a webcam to see if I can catch this predator.

I had nothing show up on web cam and my fish have not disappeared....well today while at work I get an email notification that motion was detected around my pond so I connect back into my laptop and I think I got my predator......

Watch as it stalks the pond:

Getting closer, but I think my dog must have scared it away, where the camera is recording is a chair that my dog likes to hang out for most of the day.

I got a GBH and its the first time I've seen one in my yard since I moved here 2 years ago. Now I did trim some trees and cut some dead trees a few weeks ago, is my pond now visable and why im seeing a heron for the first time?

I've read some people use nets, but as you can see I have a few plants that the net will interfere with. Some have used net set high....is the idea that the net will interfere with the heron's neck and spook it? Any other suggestions on how to prevent more heron visits?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a wide weave fishing gill net, jw has a thread on setting it up. We both use it. I have mine 3-4 feet over the pond with some hanging down not all the way to the ground. The heron can not do the strike into the water through the net, but the net is wide weave enough and high enough it does not stop frogs, small birds, etc from living there. Since I put mine up, the heron quit coming by. With it up high you can work on the pond, set it so it does not interfere with your vision, just raise the edge near your chairs.

The lilies etc grow just great they don't run into it, if they do they just go through the net

jw and I bought ours from:
http://www.memphisnet.net/category/nets_gillnets_multi

they will coat it with black uv resistant stuff. I have had mine for a few years now. This is last year
20130601_082855.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was visited a few years ago by a heron and let all 7 of my dogs out - three are newfoundlands. My husband works from home, so dogs are in and out, all day long....which may be why Mr. heron hasn't re visited. I think you're going to need a net.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks jw, could not remember where the tread was....................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow. I watched the video. So glad I don't have that problem not to say I won't some day. Sorry for the losses.

Ask a Question