Lost a fish, others lethargic

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies for the long post, I want to give as much info as possible! I am going to start by posting a copy and paste from my intro post so you can get as much info as possible on what we have as a pond, we are also complete novices on ponds, we have kept aquarium fish and raised tadpoles but that's it. I did quite a bit of research when we built the pond but it was a wildlife pond so there was never much thought given to raising fish (for example I know it is too shallow for the winter and will be using a bubble to keep the temperature up and bringing the minnows and perhaps the goldfish indoors):

'It is a small wildlife pond of approximately 150 litres (it's about a 100cm x 60cm x 35 cm), it was a little project for the kids a few months ago and stemmed from us rescuing some tadpoles and keeping them outside in 20 litre container. The pond is unfiltered but has a small solar powered fountain, it has a good amount of plants (more than I want but they keep being donated to my wife), there's 3 good bunches of Elodea, some reeds, water hyacinths (4 and growing) and another unidentified plant that is quite tall (it's top sticks out of the water) and it has quite broad oval leaves that grow in pairs off the stem.

The pond is about 30% covered by the hyacinths and the fountain and there are some rocks at the bottom with some hidey holes, though the plan was that this was a wildlife pond so no fish. I say was because we appear to have gained some minnows from somewhere (ducks have occasionally been seen having a dip but there must be at least 7 minnows now. I was actually quite grateful as they have taken care of the mosquito problem that was beginning to be an issue. On top of that we have also provided a home to 2 goldfish who were in a local pond that was going to be filled in.

More recently another 3-4 goldfish have been introduced not sure how or where from but our pond is in the front garden so access is easy and I know of at least 2 people reasonably locally that were filling ponds in.'

Now to the problem, the minnows and the 2 goldfish were fine for a number of weeks, I fed them twice a day a small amount which they seemed very eager for and it all disappeared in a couple of minutes (I suspected the pond could support these fish without additional food but I was worried about the minnows being eaten by the GF!). Since then some more Goldfish have appeared, not sure from where, I suspected that this would mean that the pond was overstocked but didn't see much of an option (none of the goldfish are bigger than 3 inches and 3 are closer to 2). I increased the amount that they were being fed but only by a small amount and again it was all gone within 3 or 4 minutes. This has been the way of things for the past 3 weeks or so.

Fast forward to the weekend, we had some really hot sunny weather (about 30°c) for 2 days and it has stayed warm (21°c) since. The whole pond is in full sunshine for about 2 hours per day, part of the pond is in sunshine for about another 3 hours per day (so 5 in total) but this part of the pond is covered by water hyacinths and a solar powered lilly pad fountain. The rest of the time it is mostly shaded with sunlight through the trees or in complete shade. As it happens the lilly pad fountain had stopped working about a week ago, I have left it as it provides shade and the place I bought it from is sending a replacement.

On Saturday all seemed well, the fish were a little less active but still had their moments and come feeding time they were all really active and eating well (this was Sat eve). Sunday they seemed less active, I didn't watch them eat but I did see them come up and I didn't see any food floating 10 minutes after feeding (nor any obviously sunk). Sunday evening (we were out all day) the fish were all very lethargic, one in particular looked to be unhappy as he was just sitting there and would only move if prompted (the others were hiding under rocks or by the reeds).

This one unhappy fish looked to have white patches and I feared the worst and tested the water for pH, ammonia etc but all was fine, the only thing that was close to tolerance was the hardness of the water but even that was technically ok.

I performed a 20% water change as I hadn't done this in sometime and hoped for the best. Yesterday it seemed much the same, none of this fish seemed hungry (I only fed a very small amount and I have now stopped feeding them).

This morning unfortunately this fish was dead, the rest of the goldfish are still hiding (the minnows are hard to spot but they seem to be fine), I did another water test and the results are pretty much the same:

NO3= 0mg/l
NO2= 0mg/l
KH= 7°
GH= 15°
pH= 7-7.5

Measurements were taken at around midday, water temp was 18 degrees. I didn't record Sunday's results but they were pretty similar from recollection.

I still decided to perform a bit more of a water change as I wanted to be sure and the water is pretty murky (probably to do with no filter) and probably changed about 25% out today. The fish aren't gasping for air, they are just sitting lower down in the pond (but not quite at the bottom mainly among some reeds or under some rocks).

For reference there is some green algae on the pond lining and the water is quite murky but not terrible, the base of the pond is covered with pond gravel and the plants are largely weighed by stones. When changing water there is clearly some sediment on the bottom of the pond, I try and pour water in carefully but some always rises but settles in an hour or so and it doesn't disturb the whole pond. There is a slight smell off the water but only if you get in really close.

I can't think of anything else that could be useful/relevant but please ask any questions that you think could help.

Can anyone give any advice on the best way to do water changes? I currently am filling 2 containers (25l and12l) treating them with aquasafe and leaving them in the sun for a couple of days (at least) to be sure. This works well for tanks but I was wondering if I can use a hose and just add some aquasafe (any recommendations for another cheaper pond centric brand gratefully received) to the pond.

Finally I don't want to add a filter or pump to the pond as that is going to add cost I can't really justify (or afford at the moment) but I can't see the fish suffering so suggestions on a balance that can be struck would be welcome, I can probably rehouse 2 of the fish but that's about it so would what we have support 2-3 goldfish and the minnows? I will be adding a tent in the winter to keep the temp up and I think I can deepen the pond by about 10cm reasonably easily by taking up the grass around it and then building earth up under the liner so that will take it to the magic 18in/45cm depth.

All guidance gratefully received.

Paddy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Paddy, welcome! I think you are right that your pond is overstocked. It could logically hold one or two fish at the most unless you had very good filtration. I would get a better testing kit. I bet your ammonia is high. You are probably better off not feeding them or not much if you don't plan on adding a filter. There is plenty in the pond for them to live off of. I think if you are doing water changes it is always better to pre-treat the water. I don't see why you need to leave it in the sun. You don't mention anything about them gasping air so I don't think its an issue about low levels of dissolved oxygen. They might be laying low because animals are visiting the pond and they are frightened. You could try adding some colorant to the water to make them feel less threatened, but then it may be hard for you to see them too. More plants might work too. Some people recommend 70% plant coverage. Good luck!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
On your water changes add by drips, lots less chance that you will over fill the pond and if you do far less likely you will shock or kill of the fish. adding de-chlorinator some do some don't (When drip feeding,)if in doubt USE it! I have continueos drip feed in one pond all day everyday with city water. about 4gph in a 9000 gallon pond. No dechlorinator used, evaporation uses about 1.5gph, the rest is overflow. Been doing this since early spring. No issues so far. BTW, you need to address you KH and GH. once you get the issue at hand under control. They are getting very low and you could start experiencing PH fluctuations. By raising the buffering or GH and KH this will help stablize the PH. Not your primary issue at the moment but worth noting.
BTW, Note the like on CK's post. I agree fully with it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, my guidance on the KH and GH by a neighbour and from the testing kit suggested this was fine (perhaps the water is a touch to hard but not critical) are you saying this is too low?

With regards the testing kit, it's an eSHa quick test, happy to take recommendations on an alternative, it seemed really expensive to me (£12 for 50 tests) but I wanted to be sure and not wait for mail order when I got it a few weeks ago.

I always treat the water, I was taught (years ago at school) that leaving the water in the sun for 4-5 days would remove the chlorine and heavy metals, so for complete security I do both! I have been topping the water up every 3-4 days with a small amount to account for evaporation (using this treated water) but I have been losing only small amounts (I put a measure in when the pond was made) and apart from Friday-Monday we have had rain at least every other day.

Do you think that the water could simply have got too hot on Saturday and harmed the goldfish but not the minnows? I wasn't going to deepen the pond until the end of September (more to allow our hedgehog to settle into it's new home and also to give the grass a decent chance to establish) but if it will make a significant difference I would do it sooner, by my calculations this will give the pond another 10-11 gallons so I guess it would heat up and cool down slower plus it could hopefully hold the higher fish stock or am I just deluding myself?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
how hot did the pond get. 18C is completely fine, Mine handle handle up to 30C but it is gradual. Never more than 3-4C change in a 24 hour period. 10-11 gallon addition. Seriously, Even if it was a 12" deeper that small a change isn't going to help much. I do recommend API test kits, the drop type, fairly inexpensive, accurate for about 1-2 years of shelf life. I'm not certain what scale your test kit is using. API uses ppm or mg/l The GH should be between 30 and 120ppm the kh should be 80 and 240 ppm. Also depending on what your water is treated with, Lets assume chlorine and it's not chlorimine or other cleaning chemical. 24 hours sitting out will neutralize chlorine out. No need for sun, just a open container. Heavy metals are not removed by water sitting out.
Honestly I think your going through a new pond cycle. watch your ammonia, keep the oxygen level as high as possible, Consider a filter or less fish.

Reaction score
Thanks for fishin4cars, the test measures in German degrees of hardness which apparently is 1= 17ppm so my hardness would be 255ppm, I will order 1 of the API kits and see how I get on.

I didn't take the temp on Saturday or Sunday (I wish I had) there is every chance it was 8-10 degrees hotter as it was a really hot/sunny day, I might look at permanent shade if it happens again (though unlikely with the UK weather).

I will rehome 2 of the goldfish as I this is an option and just hope for the others.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Paddy, The concern about hot water is that warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water. That is why you hear about fish kills when water temps get too high. One of our local utility companies has been dumping 90 degree water this summer into a local lake. They are even saying it's better that fish die instead of people if the electric demand gets too high and people can't get the electricity to run air conditioners. Floating plants will help shade your pond and keep it cooler. I would think where you live you won't have the problem of too many sunny hot days but even a few hot days can create a problem. Larger fish will be affected most by lack of oxygen so a bigger fish will always die first. Usually you will see this happen in the early morning hours because the plants that are using CO2 and turning it into O2 during the day reverse the process at night and this can deplete the ponds oxygen. Getting your fountain working again will help because moving water will absorb more oxygen than still water. Also algae will produce oxygen and even though the looks of it in a pond bothers people, it can create a healthy atmosphere for your fish. If you have a decent amount of it then you won't have to feed the fish either and the pond can probably do okay without a filter.

Reaction score
Hi CometKeith,

Thanks for your response it's very useful.I haven't lost any fish overnight and I have already set about increasing the depth of the pond by a few inches to at least increase the water volume and hopefully reduce the chance of such drastic temperature changes, I am also looking to see if I can increase the overall size of the pond with the lining that's buried as I think even with 3 goldfish and the minnows it will be a little overstocked.

The fish are still mainly hiding but I put a little bit (and I mean a little bit) of food in this morninf and a couple of the goldfish and a few of the minnows have come up and fed so I am hoping that it's settling down.

Thanks again

Paddy

Reaction score
Hi Paddy, The concern about hot water is that warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water. That is why you hear about fish kills when water temps get too high. One of our local utility companies has been dumping 90 degree water this summer into a local lake. They are even saying it's better that fish die instead of people if the electric demand gets too high and people can't get the electricity to run air conditioners. Floating plants will help shade your pond and keep it cooler. I would think where you live you won't have the problem of too many sunny hot days but even a few hot days can create a problem. Larger fish will be affected most by lack of oxygen so a bigger fish will always die first. Usually you will see this happen in the early morning hours because the plants that are using CO2 and turning it into O2 during the day reverse the process at night and this can deplete the ponds oxygen. Getting your fountain working again will help because moving water will absorb more oxygen than still water. Also algae will produce oxygen and even though the looks of it in a pond bothers people, it can create a healthy atmosphere for your fish. If you have a decent amount of it then you won't have to feed the fish either and the pond can probably do okay without a filter.

That's horrible Keith :( pour fishes. Paddy as CK has noted, the plants will hep a lot and will also help make them feel safe. The fountain will for sure help add O2 AND it will also cool the water down by several degrees. So yes, if the fountain is not working get that going ASAP. You can also turn your fountain pump into a filter, idk how big your pump is but, if you can put it in a small bucket ( my first small pond i started with a bucket, I used cotton batting around the pump and put lava rock in a mesh bag and layer it on top of that) or rubbermaid container ( cut circles in the top of the container and wrap it with cotton batting (or I use a foam padding) covered by window screen ) it will filter a lot of the murkyness out of the pond. You may have to clean it every couple days until the water clears a bit, then you'll only have to clean the batting every 10-14 days or so. Use activated charcoal in a mesh bag ( or you could use old pantyhose lol) under the batting and it will cut down on the smell.
Good Luck Paddy :)

Reaction score
Hi Fishylove,

Thanks for your reply. As it happens the replacement fountain arrived today, it is however very simple and we only got it to move the water round and increase the surface oxygenation when we got the first fish (plus provide the sound of running water)

7560_450_400.jpg

The pump power is dependent on the amount of sunlight but for a good number of hours it gets sun, I could stick a large yoghurt pot around the pump mechanism and fill that with sponge at the bottom and mesh for a bio filter at the top, will that be enough? I don't think that the pump will manage anything larger.
I am currently in discussions to either build a cascade to a bog which could conceal a filter or perhaps even builder a larger 4.5ft x 2.5ft x 1.5 ft lower pond which could house the goldfish and leave the upper pond for the minnows.

This is just a discussion at the moment as this has gone from just a small fun project for the kids to a complete pond project and whilst I would love the larger pond it's another £100+pounds and it would need to have a solar powered cascade as I don't trust myself with electricity and hiring an electrician would make this a no go.

I will keep you informed.

Ask a Question