Lost a fish :(

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Came home yesterday to find my favorite fish belly up. He was fine and up eating the day before. No signs of injury. The pond is netted so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bird. Why is it always the favorites that don't make it? I love them all but there are some I would rather see go. Days like that make me want to drain it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be lack of oxygen with all this heat .It can be a big killer .sorry to hear it is always hard to loose something this fast

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take the temperature of your water ,the hotter it is can deplete oxygen .I had to shade my pond .No rain to cool the water down does not help

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
did you also check pumps to make sure of no shorts in the lines I had a mouse chew a power cord

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sad to hear, ashirley.
Sad to say that sometimes fish die, just like we do.
I've seen an autopsy of a koi where it developed a blood clot and died.
It happens and the best you can do is ensure you have good water quality and ample swimming room for your fish.

If you have any questions as to the water conditions of your pond (water quality and environment), post the parameters here and we can discuss it.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
So far no more fatalities. I have been doing small water changes every day and stopped feeding for a few days just in case it was a water quality issue but everyone seems fine. Put some garlic and koi clay in the food just to give them a boost. Maybe it was just old age.

Ask a Question