Lost a koi

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Lost my first koi today. :(. I knew it had ich and developed an ulcer, I think I knocked the ich, but the ulcer didn't heal quick enough. Didn't see it for a few days but had seen the other one come out from a tunnel I built them.

The koi guy recommended that I use iodine to cauterize any ulcer wounds ASAP, so lifted the tunnel to look for it. Found it. Wedge in a rock already dead. :(

I netted the other one to inspect is and found a smal ulcer so I treated it with 5% iodine tincture and put him back. All my other shubunkins/GF are fine.

All water params normal and stable. Ammonia=nitrite=nitrate=0 and pH 7.6-8.0

Hope the other one doesn't get worse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ulcers just dont grow on koi they are there as a result of variuos factors such as poor water quality, stress due to over crowding, temperature fluctuations etc that bacteria are able to get a hold of your koi.
The most common is Areomonas hydrophila if your problem has been identified early on then a good bacteriacide should help get rid of your problem,
In more advanced ulcers it can be very difficult to treat your koi's ulcers , I would suggest you take a swab to be sent off to identify which bacteria you are up against
flavobacterium Columnare is another bacterium which could pose a major problem so it is vital to identify which to treat i;e gram negative or gram positive hence the swab which is to see antibacterial it is best to use and it may require an injection administered to your koi whist anethatized .
Any secondary infections can be treated at the same time with malachite green and if you can get it from your local healthfood store Propolis if more than one of your koi has ulcers then rather than inject you could mix the antibiotic with your koi's food to treat them all .
This however is always a bit hit and miss as larger koi will get the lions share of the food., there is an ozonated gel onsalke in the UK which makes very short work of ulcers but I doubt it is available in the US as of yet , its name is koi Clear gel and beliee me when I say this makes short work of ulcers it does with the ulcer mnormally disapearing within two applications.
Please note these bacteria are always present in our ponds and only become a problem when the above reasons click into place .......

rgrds

Dave

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
So propolis should be mixed with food? Or is it for topical use... or both? I think my issue started with stress as the water seemed fine and I used 2 different test kits for some of the tests.

Any suggestions for minimizing stress when introducing new fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Propolis is one of those wonderful things that can be fed to your koi mixed with food ues but we need it here in this case to be used along side with the Malachite green on the acctual site of the ulcer .
Propolis is a ny product of the bees hive and is what keeps the bees happy and healthy.
With koi it a wonderful antibacteria;l effect to bacterua :-

lhttp://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat1553.html

See link... however you dont have to buy from a koi dealship as they would have you believe.
You can buy it at the same strength from any health food stote/shop at a far cheaper price ibn both spray as seen un the link or in a liquid which we use with the food .
You ca if you wish just use the spray on the food instead of the liquid.

Dave

Ask a Question