Lost my fantail today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What a bummer. I have this little fantail for years. Was perfectly healthy and happy last night. I wonder if the water got too warm and maybe low on oxygen. Had him in my 100 gal stock tank with a buddy. I feel terrible if it was due to my neglect. Maybe should of added more air. We have been having temps in the 90s for the past week. Only other thought was a big frog that has been visiting that tank. Tried to swallow him but maybe he was too big. Not a mark on him though. :(
IMG_0479.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish are extremely tolerant of very low Oxygen levels, doubtful that was the cause. Do you have biofiltration on the stock tank? Is the other fish (his buddy) OK?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
He is a cutie so believe me when I say o mean no disrespect. Those little mutant fish have all sorts of issues that can cut their lives short. I've had the same thing happen with otherwise healthy blood parrots and black moors.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear but I know from having fantails that they are more subject to outside factors than any other fish .High temps and lack of oxygen or really cold weather can effect them .They are the main reason I stay with a pond heater in the winter so I do not loose them .They can also become egg bound .Funny thing is he looks so healthy and does not look like anything could have happened to him at all .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Looks very healthy, wonder what happened.
I'll agree though that it may have been time for it. Goldfish aren't koi, though they can live as far as 30 years, most average 7-9 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Goldfish are extremely tolerant of very low Oxygen levels, doubtful that was the cause. Do you have biofiltration on the stock tank? Is the other fish (his buddy) OK?
Yes Meyer I do have bio on that tank. Water is always in good shape. Other comet that was in with him is fine. A little skiddish, but he always is. The only other thing is that I bought some new food. Possible it was the new food or he over ate? He was a pig. Very friendly little guy. My favorite of course.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an unexplained fish kill once after using new food. The biggest eaters are the ones that died.

Ask a Question