Lost some goldfish

Reaction score
I have a 6 week old pond. I stocked with 18 goldfish. I waied 2 weeks and then started adding 6 fish/week over a 3 week period. I closely watched the water chemistry and never had a problem with nitrites or nitrates. Nevertheless, about 25% of my fish have died. the watertemperature has been in the upper 60's to lower 70's during this period. Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to change? I am concerned that I don't really know how to feed my fish. Maybe I've overfed or underfed them? Or, should i expect some mortality with $.27 goldfish? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reaction score
For feeder goldfish I always lost about 50% in the first day or so. It seems common for them not to last very long in the store either.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you recall what the readings were when you did your water testing? A bigger pond will accommodate a larger fish load, but think you still have to add fish based on readings, adding a few, gradually, depending on what your ammonia, etc. levels are.

My pond was completed early summer, and is approx. 3200 gal. My first fish were 1/2 dozen or so "feeder" comets, then I gradually added to that. Think I'm up to about 16-20 or so, now. I've only lost a few fish -- found a couple of bodies and the rest were "alien abductions," [IOW, they disappeared, but no idea what happened to them....]. I'll admit I've been careless at adding too many, too fast, but think all newbies do that, so I have fully expected to have a big die-off. Fish are growing and even having babies! And best that I can document, my pond still hasn't "cycled."

My only guess would be you added too many fish, too quickly, or too many fish for the amount of water you have. Over feeding could be a problem.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, I like to see that kind of post! About the same thing I was going to post. You've come along way since joining, Been watching your developing knowledge since you first joined as a beginner. That's good advice, I must say it sure makes me smile knowing how much you have learned in such a short time and also that I was a part of your learning along with others and your passing this learned knowlegde on to others.
My question is, Did you take ammonia readings before and during this 6 weeks? At 6 weeks nitrites should just start appearing, nitrates may take another few weeks to several months before being able to be enough to get a reading. Ammonia at this stage is probably the most likely issue with water. Feeding, new fish, and a new pond with a new filtration system could all be contributing factors, Along with those cheap feeder fish. I don't usually have great luck with them either, but then that's why so many use them, lot's easier to except losing a .27 cent fish instead of a $$$$ fish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you recall what the readings were when you did your water testing? A bigger pond will accommodate a larger fish load, but think you still have to add fish based on readings, adding a few, gradually, depending on what your ammonia, etc. levels are.

My pond was completed early summer, and is approx. 3200 gal. My first fish were 1/2 dozen or so "feeder" comets, then I gradually added to that. Think I'm up to about 16-20 or so, now. I've only lost a few fish -- found a couple of bodies and the rest were "alien abductions," [IOW, they disappeared, but no idea what happened to them....]. I'll admit I've been careless at adding too many, too fast, but think all newbies do that, so I have fully expected to have a big die-off. Fish are growing and even having babies! And best that I can document, my pond still hasn't "cycled."

My only guess would be you added too many fish, too quickly, or too many fish for the amount of water you have. Over feeding could be a problem.

TM, is your pond over 10 weeks old, if so you have probably cycled. most ponds and fish tanks for that matter cycle in 6-8 weeks. some quicker, some longer, but that's about average naturally with fish. If you only have say 20 fish in your pond, that's 1 small fish per 160 gallons, Even with the turtles that's a low stocking for that size new pond. You have pretty heavy filtration, Plenty of fish for balance, plenty of room for spawning and growth to come in, a good # of fish to start for that size pond in the first year. You probably feed light once or twice a day. I know you are always watching water conditions. You probably never got a high enough ammonia reading to really see the cycle take place on your test kit. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. With a good load of plants I suspect some of your nitrates are being eliminated by the plants so they may not be reading for you on some test kits. Again, just because you can't read them doesn't mean they aren't present. Just to low a reading for the test kit to detect. That's a good reading! LOL

Ask a Question