Lost some more fish

Reaction score
So I went outside this morning to have my morning smoke. I noticed that there was a lot of mud on a couple of the edging stones of the pond and they were also out of place. At that second i started doing a head count of all my fish. It turns out that i had lost approximately 4 of the goldfish that i had. So that brings my loss to a total of 6 goldfish and 1 koi gone missing. I think that it is raccoons that are taking my fish.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I think you may be right. Damn clever little bastards they are too. I think I would rather have heron... they are fooled by simple nets, or even gator decoys. A gator decoy MAY work on coons... but I would not bet on it. They see nets as a challenge and are pretty good at figuring them out. Only good point is that it is not illegal to shoot the coons... unlike the herons. (ANYTHING is legal until you get caught! LOL)

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
If you soak coon (or any really gamey meat) in a baking soda/salt bath overnight... it really makes it quite very good! LOL

Reaction score
Well I went out and ended up buying another koi to replace the one that I had lost. I'm not going to replace the goldfish that were lost. They were the new ones that my mom had picked up last week or so.The new koi is a butterfly koi. I will post pics when I get them on the computer.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Good choice... butterfly koi are easier for coons and heron to catch I have heard! LOL

Seriously... I myself LOVE butterfly koi (I am not a koi purist... oh well! LOL).

You really do have to figure out how to get rid of your predetor though!

Reaction score
Since that night I have not lost any more fish. I did however go out and buy a bunch more water hyacinths, water lettuce, and parrot feather. I also picked up one of those floating plant baskets for the pond and planted some water plants in it. Now theres a lot more coverage on my pond so hopefully this all worked and i wont lose any more fish that way.

Ask a Question