Lots of filters, 2 goldfish, and still ammonia!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll put up a photo of the bubbles. They pop almost immediately once the fountain is shut off, and do not look like soap bubbles.

I've done a large water change when the wind blew the fountain over and it pumped out 2/3 of the water while we were at church.

Still have bubbles after a really large water change.
Organic materials like leaves decaying in a pond will cause bubbles. Think how detergent is made.... I would think there wouldn't be a lot of that in your pond if it is fairly new.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
aeration causes bubbles also .I get lots of them and nothing on the bottom .Just good old fashioned air .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Those don’t look like pond water bubbles to me. The surface tension is wrong. I see a film I believe as well. Something is getting in there. I must have missed the info on your water supply. Also I normally don’t recommend products to often but SEACHEM PRIME and SEACHEM STABLE. Read up on them. Nice pond! I have a 355 gallon with a 950gph pump and homemade gravity filter. My 7 comets went in the day the water did. My NH has never been close to .25ppm. Currently zeros across the board. Water lettuce, hyacinth, hardy lilies and native rushs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
aeration causes bubbles also .I get lots of them and nothing on the bottom .Just good old fashioned air .

I think it is just air as well. When the pump is turned off they go away within 10 seconds or so, and do not have any of the other characteristics of a soap bubble that I can tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
Great news. All the ammonia is out of the water. I believe adding the Zeolite and Carbon to the water helped immensely.

I removed the bag and will continue to monitor the ammonia. I'm curious if the Zeolite did all the work, or if the ammonia cycle is kicking in.

Thank you for all your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Great news. All the ammonia is out of the water. I believe adding the Zeolite and Carbon to the water helped immensely.

I removed the bag and will continue to monitor the ammonia. I'm curious if the Zeolite did all the work, or if the ammonia cycle is kicking in.

Thank you for all your help!
Awesome! Any nitrites?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started with just feeder goldfish too. I now have fish about a foot long, plus lots and lots and lots of babies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-12_10-2-16.gif
@Jason M Molitor
Cute pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
I think it is just air as well. When the pump is turned off they go away within 10 seconds or so, and do not have any of the other characteristics of a soap bubble that I can tell.

The bubbles are from the anti-algae product. When I added a bit more the bubbles were much more. Now I know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Algaecide kills algae. Dead algae in the pond is the same as any other organic material - it decomposes and produces ammonia. If you're lucky, more algae will grow to consume the resulting excess nutrients. But keep killing it, and you'll never find the balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Welcome. Plants in the pond will help with keeping the algae down also. I see you're in Waukesha, we're almost neighbors. I live in Franklin and work in Brookfield.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algaecide also can deplete oxygen in the pond.That is why you see bubbles when you use it .Most algae products say that you need aeration in the pond and that is why .

Ask a Question