Lotus are such cool plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This blossom is taller than I am. I had to hold the phone way up over my head and tilt it down to get a picture of the inside of the flower. They are really fun to grow!

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5278.jpeg
    IMG_5278.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is very pretty. @bagsmom are you in a zone that it survives the winter? There were a couple plants I thought of getting and lotus was one but read they will not survive for me (5b).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love the pink ones! I have some that did well initially, but I just had to cut off a bunch of leaves. They got brown at the very edges, then slowly turned very yellow. I think they have some kind of lotus funky crud. I know you have to cut the stems far above the surface of the water, so water doesn't go in and rot the tuber. There are some brown floating leaves, too, but I don't want to pull them off for fear of water getting inside the plant. I'm hoping for the best!
I am in zone 7b. With a lot of things, I just do a "wait and see and hope for the best" strategy. I think we got down to 19 last winter and some years it has gone to single digits. But those temperatures never last long, so things in the water seem to do fine. I've had some ice around the edges of the waterfall, but nothing ever freezes solid here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the white, pink and pink and white. With this hot weather they are blooming but the flower does not last long. Lots of flowers so far, do really enjoy their brief stay.

Also the severe storms we are having is hard on the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the white, pink and pink and white. With this hot weather they are blooming but the flower does not last long. Lots of flowers so far, do really enjoy their brief stay.

Also the severe storms we are having is hard on the flowers.

I'm always amazed at how strong the stems are, especially in the winds of big storms!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found the pictures of my three colors, we were just drinking a glass of wine waiting to see if the tornado would hit, It was right over us

The whole house was shaking
a.jpg
IMG_0313.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It did, one heck of a booming storm. We luck out here most of the time have some hills that direct the storms around us...................usually

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd wanna go out with a glass of wine in my hand too @addy1 !

I'm jealous of all the lotus blooms - ours are just now sending up aerial leaves. We'll have blooms in a week or so I'm guessing!

And ours do survive in 5B @KDubU - just get them low enough in the water so the tubers don't freeze and they stand a good chance of making it.

Ask a Question