Lotus Coin Leaves Browning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hello, this is my first year growing lotus so I can't say I 100% know what I'm doing. I planted my tubers in loam soil and I have them in full sun almost all day. My coin leaves started coming up and I was very stoked until most of them started to brown and eventually get soft. A new tiny shoot came up anyway and opened but as you can see he's very very small. I don't have any areal leaves yet so I haven't fertilized because I don't want to burn the roots or hurt the plant prematurely.
I have had a mosquito larvae problem which I tried solving by changing out the water, as well as changing out the water weekly anyway because of the algae building up on the sides because of all of the sun. I do have a small solar-powered pump to produce movement in the water. Let me know what you all think. I've attached photos, I hope they help! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 98

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue, mine are all planted in kitty litter, established for over 8 years.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not unusual for the small leaves to die off as long as you are getting new leaves. It's best not to do water changes or use a pump as the plants do not like to be disturbed until they get established.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus tub gets only a real slow flow from the pond next to it, then it trickle water falls into the next small pond back into the big pond. A gentle current. Fed from a T via a garden hose from the feed that is going into the bog. So they get dirty water constantly, a very slow feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Not unusual for the small leaves to die off as long as you are getting new leaves. It's best not to do water changes or use a pump as the plants do not like to be disturbed until they get established.
Good to know. So is it ok that it's getting green in there?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's fine. I have my new lotus seedlings as well as my potted divisions in a 300 gallon tank right now. Just keep the water level up and yes, getting a lot of algae but I just pull out the string algae.

Ask a Question