Lotus final getting buds!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had 7 lotus plants in a 100 gallon stock tank that did not survive our last winter. Surprisingly, the one in the 75 gallon preform is still alive! I have been feeding it with Pond Tabs and was so happy to finally see buds. We started measuring the height of buds Saturday as it seemed they were growing fast. Saturday -40", sunday -46" and this morning 54"! 2 main buds, one about 8" shorted and a new one started Saturday. I'm hoping to get full size flowers so I can harvest seed.
20180625_131350.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have a pump or air stone for water circulation in your lotus tubs/tanks?

I'm just curious as I'm trying to grow my first lotus (from a tuber) and it's not doing a thing.

Water in the pot keeps getting a good amount of algae and so green I'm not sure the tuber is getting any sunlight. I keep dumping the nasty water and replace it with fresh. Not sure what to do with it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in a 300 gallon stock tank. They get water from the big pond via a T, low slow flow, a garden hose. The dirty water from the big pond seems to fertilize them plenty. I know I haven't in years.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have a pump or air stone for water circulation in your lotus tubs/tanks?

I'm just curious as I'm trying to grow my first lotus (from a tuber) and it's not doing a thing.

Water in the pot keeps getting a good amount of algae and so green I'm not sure the tuber is getting any sunlight. I keep dumping the nasty water and replace it with fresh. Not sure what to do with it?
I have an antique water pump moving 200gph. The tank I had my other ones in last year had no circulation at all. I got 2 small blooms but it was completely shaded by my banana trees. I will admit, this one had been possibly over-fertilized. 4 feedings of Pond tabs plus some Miraclegro from watering the flowers around it.
007.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
GORGEOUS! My big white lotus (in a separate pool) is doing well and has big buds. I have two others in large planters in the big pond. They have been fertilized but are not looking so hot. All leaves are quite small. The biggest pink one may be done for. When I was thinning pond plants, I noticed a big poop-looking thing near the surface of the planter. It was a big rotten lotus bulb. So I don't know if the small leafed lotus in the pot are "babies" from that one? Maybe next year they will be big enough to bloom?
Yours are looking great!!!!!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Weekly update. Now have 6 buds, 3 of which will open in the next couple of days. Height is now 68". The plant has jumped out of the pot. This morning there was a new leaf coming up where the fountain flows back in. Roots on it but no tuber forming yet.
002.JPG
003.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic! You are about a week ahead of my lotus. When we left I counted a bunch of buds but still small.

Ask a Question