Lotus for fishtank?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have a Bala shark in my 75gal aquarium. I’ve tried to put aquarium plants in there before (even the hardy ones like Anubias and swords) but he always eats them or uproots them! I figured I’d give lotus’ a go.

Does anyone know any good species that are extremely hardy and rigid? Not all that worried about look. Just want something I know he won’t eat. Temperature is 80F (about 26C all year round. Light isn’t extremely strong but it’s an alright artificial light).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1635630135797.gif
@EmmaTheCabbage

1635630233660.gif

Not sure if Lotus will be hardy indoors or not. Never have tried to grow lotus inside or out. Some here have tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

Growing a Water-lotus (Nelumbo sp. or hybrid) would be a difficult choice for an indoor aquarium. Nelumbo would need very bright light. The equivalent of at least half a day of sun, preferably more. There are dwarf cultivars of Water-lotus, so size itself is not so much an issue, but the leaves and flowers (if any) would emerge from the tank, growing into a typical aquarium light fixture and blocking the light.

Of course, plastic plants are an option, but perhaps just grow plants that your Bala Shark (Balantiocheilos melanopterus) might eat sparingly and replace them as necessary. You could even keep a separate plant tank or tub in brighter light just for plants so they will grow more quickly. Occasionally harvest some for your aquarium when needed. Vallisneria and Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barieri) also seem like good choices to me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Emma! Given your situation, forget about keeping a lotus. Anubias tied to a log (not rooted in the substrate) and placed in the corner of your tank is a good option. Place all plants and decorations in corners. Bala do best with unobstructed swimming space. I am sure you know this but I feel compelled to say something about its home. Your tank is entirely too small for a Bala. It might be small now but that won't last. At some point, it becomes cruel to keep it in such a small aquarium. They are also social and do best when kept in groups. Please read about them. How many other fish do you have in your tank? Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

Growing a Water-lotus (Nelumbo sp. or hybrid) would be a difficult choice for an indoor aquarium. Nelumbo would need very bright light. The equivalent of at least half a day of sun, preferably more. There are dwarf cultivars of Water-lotus, so size itself is not so much an issue, but the leaves and flowers (if any) would emerge from the tank, growing into a typical aquarium light fixture and blocking the light.

Of course, plastic plants are an option, but perhaps just grow plants that your Bala Shark (Balantiocheilos melanopterus) might eat sparingly and replace them as necessary. You could even keep a separate plant tank or tub in brighter light just for plants so they will grow more quickly. Occasionally harvest some for your aquarium when needed. Vallisneria and Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barieri) also seem like good choices to me.
Ah good point about the light. I didn’t think about that very well clearly. This is the tank and light it would be in. (Please ignore how horrendously ugly it is. Also I’m aware it’s about time I upgrade size. There’s just no stock at the moment and hasn’t been for ages) as you can see it’s not a proper grow light but it’s alright for aquarium light standards. Plan was get another terracotta pot with aquarium soil, grow the lotus in a different tank then move in when it’s big enough. Do any low light lotuses even exist though? I’ve tried moss and jungle vals. But he will tear off any moss and uproots the val every single day till it just dies. Literally spent hundreds in plants but he kills everything. Even elodea and hornwart he’ll eat (or at least eat all the leafs off). I’m also thinking of maybe trying crinum. Probably the Thai species. At the start I thought maybe I just didn’t have a knack for keeping plants but all my other tanks (guppies and Betta) are thriving with plants so I know it’s just the Bala ruining things.

Attachments

• EA9A0598-B82D-4599-8887-2AFDC140FA37.jpeg
    EA9A0598-B82D-4599-8887-2AFDC140FA37.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Emma! Given your situation, forget about keeping a lotus. Anubias tied to a log (not rooted in the substrate) and placed in the corner of your tank is a good option. Place all plants and decorations in corners. Bala do best with unobstructed swimming space. I am sure you know this but I feel compelled to say something about its home. Your tank is entirely too small for a Bala. It might be small now but that won't last. At some point, it becomes cruel to keep it in such a small aquarium. They are also social and do best when kept in groups. Please read about them. How many other fish do you have in your tank? Again, welcome!
Damn that sucks. I may try some anubias then. Do you think Java fern would work too? Recently stuck some pothos and peace lily in a basket at the back. So that’s some plant life they can’t get to. The sharks over 10 years old, got him from petsmart when I was a kid with a pleco, gourami, and angel. (They failed to tell us that they weren’t suitable for a 10gal). But that was pretty common occurrence that long ago. Slowly increased their size of the tank to the 75 they are in today as I learnt more about fish. Also I know they are social but I’d be too worried getting him a mate now especially with his age. He’s grown up with the other fish his entire life so knows nothing different (besides they don’t sell any big enough at the store that he wouldn’t eat in one bite!) With how big he’s gotten lately your right to say a 75 is far too small! I’m hopefully going to be upgrading to a 125 in the near future (those are the largest non-custom tanks I can get on Hawaii so that will have to do). Even that’s probably the bare minimum for something as big as him. But I defo agree with you on the size problem. It’s just a matter of time before I get a new tank. I’m thinking maybe crinum for a plant since it’s now been established that lotus won’t work. Glad I’ve been told though before I bought any bulbs.

Also attached a nice pic of the tank before he ate all of my plants

Attachments

• 6F9101B9-92D7-4F2D-8467-9AF1F5C16EAD.jpeg
    6F9101B9-92D7-4F2D-8467-9AF1F5C16EAD.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

As he grows, you may want to consider a larger tank.
Thanks :) Waiting for the 125gals to go in stock. Live in Hawaii so extremely limited in what I can get. Escpecially with all the covid stockage shinanegans. He’s extremely old and when I got him as a kid (over 10 years ago) they didn’t tell us he couldn’t go in a 10gal so it’s been a big learning process. Won’t lie he’s past the point of needing a new tank and his current one is pretty atrocious in looks (but hey can’t help the fact he eats bloody everything I put in there).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha thank you! Love the cabbage pic.
here's an idea, if you aren't growing the plants for 'visual' sake; it's something we do with koi and plants. You can get some plastic chicken wire and make a cylinder, attach it to the pot, and anything that grows outside the cylinder, the bala can snack on but won't destroy the plant as now it's protected inside the cylinder. Won't look cosmetically nice but will give you plants for nitrate uptake. You could even make this cylinder more a lamp-shade shape and have the wide end above the water line to give the top of any plant you have a chance to spread a bit.

Anyway, just an idea.

Too, lotus grow very wide and send aerial leaves up that can cover a 3' minimum area, so really not the best for aquariums. A pothos works well and can have it in a floating pot on top and any dangling branches can get into the water and once again, the bala can snack on them while the plant and roots are protected.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Emma, I've got it. Ten years old is testimony of your excellent care. That is amazing, way to go! Many of them would be lucky to live 3 months after going home. The picture helps. I agree, no more Bala's. You have enough to deal with. Yes, Java Fern is an excellent choice along with Anubias. Do you need some assistance on how to secure them to a log etc? I wouldn't change a thing with your lighting. What you have is working for you. I would first add the new plants. Very slowly, move the objects to the sides of the tank to give the fish maximum swimming room. See if you can create a 'cross current' meaning, the water flowing from left to right or right to left. They are mid-tank swimmers and enjoy a current. Check on-line auctions for tanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
here's an idea, if you aren't growing the plants for 'visual' sake; it's something we do with koi and plants. You can get some plastic chicken wire and make a cylinder, attach it to the pot, and anything that grows outside the cylinder, the bala can snack on but won't destroy the plant as now it's protected inside the cylinder. Won't look cosmetically nice but will give you plants for nitrate uptake. You could even make this cylinder more a lamp-shade shape and have the wide end above the water line to give the top of any plant you have a chance to spread a bit.

Anyway, just an idea.

Too, lotus grow very wide and send aerial leaves up that can cover a 3' minimum area, so really not the best for aquariums. A pothos works well and can have it in a floating pot on top and any dangling branches can get into the water and once again, the bala can snack on them while the plant and roots are protected.
O wow yes that is a very good idea. I have plastic mesh at home which is a bit similar to chicken wire just a lot more flexible. I’m on holiday at the moment and won’t be home for another week but when I get back I’ll see what I have. Maybe some sort of clear acrylic container may work too.
Ye not really after the visuals as much as I am wanting some good ol plant life in there.

Luckily being in Hawaii there’s lots of wild pothos and other plants that can have wet roots. Already got some in there just experimenting with different ways to secure it. Once u get back and if I work out anything cool I’ll be sure to show you all :) thanks so much for the ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Emma, I've got it. Ten years old is testimony of your excellent care. That is amazing, way to go! Many of them would be lucky to live 3 months after going home. The picture helps. I agree, no more Bala's. You have enough to deal with. Yes, Java Fern is an excellent choice along with Anubias. Do you need some assistance on how to secure them to a log etc? I wouldn't change a thing with your lighting. What you have is working for you. I would first add the new plants. Very slowly, move the objects to the sides of the tank to give the fish maximum swimming room. See if you can create a 'cross current' meaning, the water flowing from left to right or right to left. They are mid-tank swimmers and enjoy a current. Check on-line auctions for tanks.
I’m not sure if it’s as much excellent care as much as they have some crazy genetics xD. I was definitely in the bad fish keeper area for a bit in the early years but the past few years we’ve been trying alot with upgrading tanks, and adding plants.

I get quite worried with what I add though as I don’t want to add anything that may be carrying something which makes them sick. Whole time I’ve had them they’ve never been ill. No fin rot, ulcers, ich, fungus, anything. When i upgrade I’ll probably look for a nice piece of driftwood to put in there though- After a very very thorough clean. Java fern and anubias should be okay on the terracotta pots for now though right? I tried thread to secure them in the past but that was dumb with the monster he is. They didn’t stand a chance. Recently been glueing some plants in another tank as part of an aquascape I’m very proud of so I’ve got good practice with that now so will probs just glue them onto the pots.

The cross current is a good. Idea. Not sure if it would work with the glass lid still on as it’s a funny shape so may need to remove that but I think your right in that he will like it. I’ll have to try rearrange some things to try that and see what they think.

Ask a Question