Lotus, from seed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a lotus from a cutting,if it makes it through the winter, it made it through last summer, leaves 8 inches in diameter, on stems a couple of feet long, 24 inch diameter pot sunk in a shallow pond. I don't know what color it is, or if I will ever see a bloom.

So I bought these seeds on amazon. First last spring I dropped in an aquarium with some goldfish, nicked them first, and they did sprout, but when moved outdoors they did burn up. So I ordered some more, and knicked and threw in plain water in a plastic chinese food container with a tight lid, and a couple got fungus, so I pulled the rotten seeds and dumped some bleach water in about a week ago, and there they sit.

They shouldn't have fungus. Should I put in wet dirt, or what? sun? well not today, and 26 Fahrenheit tomorrow night
in the house currently.

I am open to suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
you should put it in wet dirt, but not sure if it'll survive with temperature that low.

Here in NE,6a zone, I normally start in early May. Just sand it and drop in a jar filled with city water, then put it next to the window. Keep changing water every 2 or 3 days. It sprouts within a week and a haft. By the end of May it grows 2 or 3 leaves, and it is ready to transplant it in container outdoor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
well I rinsed all that weren't rotten in vinegar, and moved to a pot with dirt indoors on a seed starting mat I usually use for tomatoes. We shall see

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I rinsed all that weren't rotten in vinegar, and moved to a pot with dirt indoors on a seed starting mat I usually use for tomatoes. We shall see
Hopefully you will get some growing but the vinegar may have been a bad choice. It's a great way to kill unwanted plants, use it around my ponds to kill weeds. I have had good luck with the changing water every other day and sunny window. Then once you get roots, planting in pots. Do not use any fertilizer on them till you get leaves that are above the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
well No sprouts yet but the seeds are warm and wet. I ordered from amazon, they come from china, last week I got a plastic envelope labeled lotus earrings with a note from customs that said organic materials had been confiscated. hmmm must be why the package on the ones I got said beads

Ask a Question