Lotus in a container water garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do any of you have any experience growing Lotus in a container garden. My little water garden with water lily, floaters and a couple of bog plants has been tremendously successful this year. Next year I think I would like to try a Water Lotus in the container rather than the other plants. Any experience or advice? I value your opinions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have lotuses growing in tubs right now - they need to get into the pond, but they've been slow to start so we're babying them a bit. You could grow a lotus in a container garden but just make sure you choose one that is suited for the size. And you may want to contain the lotus within the container - like keep it in a pot inside your water garden - to prevent the roots from going crazy and taking over the whole container!

Reaction score
I grow mine in containers in a tub on the driveway. Only place with decent light. For the winter I put them in the bottom of the pond about 18 inches. The pond is part sun/shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a large variety of lotus in a container made of a preformed pond. It's round and 40" in diameter -- about 18" deep. I dug it into the ground next to my main pond and planted mint and creeping jenny around it. It looks really good now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You can see my hand below the blossom. The lotus is huge! The photo below shows how well disguised the edge of the container is. I'm really enjoying growing lotus!

Attachments

• IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, I have tried this. The Lotus started pushing up leader leaves the very next week. So far, though, it has been very impressive.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a lotus growing in one of the large plastic pots from Lowes in my pond. It's doing great! Sits in almost 3 feet of water. You can barely see the outline of the pot it's in at the bottom of the picture.
2017-06-26 06.28.26.jpg

Ask a Question