Lotus leaves turning yellow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone over here could help me figure out why are my lotus leaves turning a bit yellow?

As you can see below on the left a couple of seeds I planted today with dark green leaves, and on the right the ones I planted 2weeks ago with a slightly yellow tone.

Untitled.jpg

Thanking you in advance :)
Pedro

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They need fertilizer .You can see it in your water lettuce also .Not enough fish waste to feed them

I just fertilized these 2 weeks ago and there are lotus plants in there too

Reaction score
Oh I see, these are young lotus(less than 1month old), grown from seed is it safe to fertilize? sorry just to make sure :p

Also how can I fertilize them? any recommendations?

Thanks,
Pedro

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I grew mine from seed also and they are just over a month old .I put them in a concrete mixing tub and throw in a little miracle grow .I usually leave them in the tub for a couple of months before they go into the pond .I gave a lot of lotus plants away also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These are finally the ones I am keeping for myself so if any one else asks for one I will give them a seed and tell them grow your own

Reaction score
Ok thanks :)

Will have to find something equivalent to that miracle gro, over here :p to trough in the planted basket.

I planted mine in this area of the pond that my koi can't go in. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
any fertilizer works as long as you can get the lotus out and fertilize it and not fertilize an algae bloom in your pond .I take mine out and just put them in something else to fertilize ,easier that way

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pedro; try to find a fertilizer containing 'chelated iron'. Yellowing leaves usually indicate an iron shortage.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true never thought of that as well water in the Axton area is full of iron .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grew mine from seed also and they are just over a month old .I put them in a concrete mixing tub and throw in a little miracle grow .I usually leave them in the tub for a couple of months before they go into the pond .I gave a lot of lotus plants away also
There are different kind of miracle grow. What kind are you using? I just started a small lotus pond for my dad. Bought few tubers online, and killed 3 of the 6. :(
Thank you.
Steve

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are different kind of miracle grow. What kind are you using? I just started a small lotus pond for my dad. Bought few tubers online, and killed 3 of the 6. :(
Thank you.
Steve
@Stevetlam you would be better off starting your own thread to get more attention to your question.

Did you fertilize the tubers when you planted them?

If so that is what is killing them, need to let the tubers get going first and wait until the start putting up aerial leaves then fertilize. Many on here use various types of fertilizer, I’ve used an osmocate slow release fertilizer in the past without and problems, with lilies and lotuses.

Ask a Question