Lotus question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I ordered two lotus tubers from two different companies.

Wabasabi is considered a very large lotus -- I bought a rigid plastic pond liner to put that one in. It's about 3 feet across and is separate from my main pond.

First Lady was listed as a medium to large lotus. I got a big tub for that one and planned to put in the pond.

The Wab-a-sabi came and it's a smaller tuber than I expected -- about 8 inches long and about as thick as a thumb. I planted it in the big separate pool.

THEN First Lady came. THAT tuber is very large. It was breaking dormancy, so I planted it right away.

The question is: should I switch locations? Is the tuber size indicative of the plant size? Would it be unwise to move them once they've come out of dormancy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm interested to follow your lotus journey :) I've started some from seed and currently have about 12 germinated plants. I'm not sure when I'll be able to move them outside yet, due to weather.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know they tell you not to disturb lotus tubers until Feb. and March or you could hurt the tubers causing them to rot .Addy has lotus plants ..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are just breaking dormancy. You are warmer, get them planted, i.e. lay on the dirt and hold down with a rock. They will send roots down. Over time the tubers and root stalk will all be deep in the pot.

If the one is supposed to be huge, leave it in the huge pot. They can get very large leaves and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine are just breaking dormancy. You are warmer, get them planted, i.e. lay on the dirt and hold down with a rock. They will send roots down. Over time the tubers and root stalk will all be deep in the pot.

If the one is supposed to be huge, leave it in the huge pot. They can get very large leaves and flowers.
It's so funny -- I guess the tubers get bigger with time. The one that is supposed to be big has a wee little tuber. A wonderful pond friend sent me a tuber for a small lotus -- and it's a big honker! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think it depends on how old the plant was .I saw a mini one at the garden pond store and it's tubers were huge but pond store owner told me the plant was over 15 years old

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think it depends on how old the plant was .I saw a mini one at the garden pond store and it's tubers were huge but pond store owner told me the plant was over 15 years old
I'm so excited to watch them grow!!!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Strange to see them harvest tubers to sell .They do it like a surgeon .Everything very sterile

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - even a very large lotus will produce tubers of all sizes. It's amazing the amount of plant that can come out of the tiniest tuber!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I want one! I've been looking at the medium sized ones. Can't wait to see your progress with this @bagsmom
Weeellll.... I'm trying to stay positive. All of the lotus seem a little brown and crunchy around the edges. I wonder if there is something about the water they don't like. Or maybe a funky plant germ in the soil? I'm hoping the warmer weather will perk them up. I will be sure to keep you updated. I love the idea of them and really hope they will grow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Two great places. Texas Waterlilies and Pond Plants Online. Both were wonderful about answering questions and such.
Both had them padded and packaged nicely for shipping.
I also think I was optimistic about how much sun I would get in the specific spot I planted them. Now that the trees have leafed out, it's less than I thought. I hope they will do leaves, even if they don't flower.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I jumped! I bought one from Pond Plants Online.
I got the Carolina Queen Lotus. I'm now super excited!!! I had a spot that gets full sun that I had a pot with a pump feeding it that I just pulled out and was looking for something else to put there.
Now I can have fingers crossed for both of us.
Is there another spot you can move them to get the sun? All the sites I've seen say 5 hours of full sun needed.
I just pulled up the Texas site and saw your Wabasi. It is gorgeous! I hope they both survive.

Last edited:

Ask a Question