Lotus question

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by bagsmom, Apr 10, 2017.

1. bagsmom

cas

Please post updates on your lotus @bagsmom , @tbendl and @Tula . I have always been tempted to plant a lotus but wasn't sure I could keep it alive.

cas, May 2, 2017
    Tula and bagsmom like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. bagsmom

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Get a tuber weigh it down with a rock on top of kitty litter, dirt what ever, let it grow...................That is all I did to start 6-7 years ago, then I tossed them all out of their containers, with the muck into a 300 gallon tub, tossed kitty litter on top they are doing great. They are fragile when growing.

addy1, May 2, 2017
    cas and bagsmom like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bagsmom

bagsmom

The jury is still out on mine. Since this is a first time experiment, I'm not sure what to expect. I bought two tubers from two different places and got a couple pass-alongs from a fellow ponder. Two are in containers in the main pond and two are in a separate designated pool. All have sent up leaves that are floating on the water surface. All of those leaves look kind of yucky. Crunchy "burned" looking on the edges. I don't know if these will rise up and out of the water eventually, or if the floating leaves are a precursor to the leaves that will be above the water? Right now, our temps are a mixed bag. We've been in the upper 70s / lower 80s for a good while. But we've had some low 50s in the mornings and Saturday morning is predicted to be mid 40s. I'm hoping that more summery temps will make the lotus happier. I've also noted that I over-estimated the amount of sun the area gets. I might need to thin out some branches to open up and get a little more sun.
    I will try to get some current pix.

bagsmom, May 2, 2017
    cas and tbendl like this.
  4. bagsmom

Lisak1

I don't know about your crunchy brown leaves @bagsmom but I do know that the aerial leaves are different than the floaters. Your lotuses (loti? haha!) will end up with both types. I might venture a guess that it's the cooler temps that are causing the damage you're seeing - lotuses definitely prefer the warm, sunny days. Just like me!

Lisak1, May 2, 2017
    tbendl and bagsmom like this.
  5. bagsmom

First you get floating leaves, then the above water leaves come up. Once I wander outside I will take you a picture of what mine look like right now.

Ok walked out to the deck and took a long distance shot for you, see the floaters, then look at the long stick looking things to the right of the picture, those are the out of water tall leaves and stems coming up.

The green floaty stuff is the hornwort and anacharis taking off. I found three fish in the tank, eggs or fry that survived the wild ride though a plumbing, pump, garden hose, waterfall to live in the tank. Oh and through the first pond to the second pond down another small waterfall.
    IMG_1220.JPG

addy1, May 2, 2017
  6. bagsmom

Lisak1

haha! Come enjoy @addy1 's amusement park for fish!

Lisak1, May 2, 2017
    tbendl, bagsmom and MoonShadows like this.
  7. bagsmom

cas

@addy1 did you always have the lotus in a container that was circulated with pond water? If I try one I will probably have it separate from the pond.

cas, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  8. bagsmom

I started with them in the pond in some big containers, they constantly blew over, mine are 4-5 feet tall when grown.

I then put them in individual big rope handle containers from Walmart, 5 containers in a 300 gallon stock tank. Then a few years later, tossed them all out of those containers and let them co-mingle in the 300 gallon tank. I have not added fertilizer for years now, do not clean the tank, it stinks if you stir it up.

The water comes unfiltered from the big pond, a hose T off the line feeding the bog, into a garden hose that waterfalls into the first small pond, the second one is the 300 gallon lotus stock tank.

follow the red line from the right to the small ponds............that is the garden hose path, then you can see the arrows showing the water flow into the smaller ponds, back into the big pond.

IMG_1221_LI.jpg

This is last years flowers Capture.JPG

addy1, May 2, 2017
  9. bagsmom

tbendl T

Oh my goodness they are so cool looking!! I'm hoping my medium sized one won't still be too large for my pond. If it is, I'm moving it to a small stock tank and hope it gets enough sun to survive.
    So you plant it like a lily then Addy? I thought I had to wait and keep it shallow until it sent up leaves, then gradually lower it to the bottom>

tbendl, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  10. bagsmom

I planted mine around 18 inches down, on kitty litter, but just hold the tuber down with a rock, do not bury it.

addy1, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  11. bagsmom

tbendl T

Did you eventually move it lower after it started "sprouting"?
    And did you add fertilizer like that Osmocote that you use for lilies?

tbendl, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  12. bagsmom

nope I don't touch it, I do eventually remove the rock. The plants wander all over the tub, I let them do what they want to do. I used to fertilize with osmocote wrapped up in a paper towel, stuck in the litter, any more I don't add anything.

addy1, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  13. bagsmom

Ginger2111

I started 12 from seeds that I bought off E-Bay. 10 of them sprouted. 9 of them sent up three small leaves. Only 2 of them ever got any bigger leaves (and they are not very big at all). All of them are looking pretty sickly right now - edges turning brown and crinkly. I don't think I am going to end up with any left. I started them in the house in a sunny window planning on moving them out to the pond when it got warmer - still waiting for it to get warmer. It froze here a couple of night ago and none of our days have been over the 60s. I haven't given up though (addy1 has infected me with her beautiful pictures). Maybe next time I'll try tubers.

Ginger2111, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  14. bagsmom

Mine were tubers I bought. I think of starting some from seeds, but that is as far as I get, thinking about it.
    I have plenty from the tubers I put in the pots years ago.

addy1, May 2, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  15. bagsmom

Ginger2111

lotus1.jpg lotus2.jpg Addy1 do you think these might still make it or am I just prolonging the inevitable? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Attached Files:

Ginger2111, May 3, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  16. bagsmom

I have read it takes a while for a tuber to grow when started from a seed, but having never done it I do not know.
    If they have green leaves I would give them time, see if they get going.

addy1, May 3, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  17. bagsmom

Lisak1

That looks pretty much like ours when they first come out of dormancy, so I would say it's safe to give it some time and see what happens.

Lisak1, May 4, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  18. bagsmom

Ginger2111

Thank you - I think spring is finally here - should I set them out in the pond or let them get a little stronger in the house? I appreciate very much all of your advice.

Ginger2111, May 4, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  19. bagsmom

tbendl T

I've also read that they need lots of fertilizer. My new one said that once it starts sending leaves up it needs to be fertilized 1x a month.

tbendl, May 8, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  20. bagsmom

Patfish Ignore the mask and cape

When I bought my seeds, it said the seed has all the nutrients it needs for the first year
    Does that sound right?

Patfish, May 12, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question