Lotus question

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My notes that came with my lotus say to wait until the first floating leaf and then fertilize. I am getting ready to do some research since I got home from a weekend trip and officially have a floating leaf!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live in Arizona. In April I got a beautiful fat healthy tuber. I planted it and it soon sprouted the first floating leaves. It was putting out runners right and left snaking around the pot that is 25 in diameter. Then it produced two very large arial leaves. We got a huge heat wave and all the leaves turned crispy brown. Nothing new has been produced for two weeks. My beautiful tuber is shriveling up and the water smells foul even though I have done water changes. Any ideas? I have fertilized it heavily.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe you put in to much fertilizer plus I read they do not like lots of sun or heat all the time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe you put in to much fertilizer plus I read they do not like lots of sun or heat all the time
I thought the leaves might be getting sun burned so out pull it out of direct sun...that is when it start to stop growing. It is 108 here today and I have moved back into full sun hopefully to stimulate;ate the growth. I did not think about over fertilizing. I might have done that. ugh. Well I did order a new on today from pondplantsonline. It was the last day this year they are taking orders.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you change out the water it should be fine ,it will weaken the fertilizers effect

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
IMG_4538.JPG
I am trying to figure out how to post a picture. I will try and see what you think. I took the rock off the tuber and it floated up. Do the new runners need to original tuber to continue to live? If the original tuber dies do all the runner it put out also die?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That tuber does not look good, usually firm and white. If the new runners have a nice small tuber started they will probably do ok. I would just let them be and see if they keep growing and sending up leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you Addy...did I see someone post that you sell Lotus? I did order a Titantic from pondplantsonline.com and I did go ahead and order seeds from two different people in China on amazon so I am trying to hedge for total loss of this Lotus. I do not see any tubes growing just roots on the runners.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No I don't sale them, I planted some years ago in a tub by themselves, they just grow. I do not disturb them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That Lotus is toast. I have another, It had two arial leaves, but they died, it seemed to be dying too. It did nothing for three weeks. Today it is sending up two new leaves. I think it went into a dormant period after moving from the pond it was in to the tub I have it in now. I think it is going to make it. The tuber I purchased from pondplantsonline.com is doing nicely sending out runner and putting up small leaves. It is a titanic so I do not know if I will get any flowers this year as the leaves seem very small. I read not to fertilize until it send up its first arial leaf. But, I have my seeds started too so I am watching them and they are getting ready to go into small black plastic oil pans. I hope they will be deep enough.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have not planted my seedling lotus and use pond water to refresh the water and they are growing good .Hubby did leave the patio door open yesterday and a little finch got in the house and not sure who damaged the leaves bird or hubby .I had to take my sister to the doctor so i was not home .He won't admit to it of course ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I planted mine and they died. I am going to try your method... I bought some seeds from Taiwan through amazon, a Sapphire blue that came on the 5th. I started 3 of them and I started two of my original "C" that died when I planted them. As you can see in three days they have made great progress! The water temp is 102 and the air temp has been between 112 and 119. Today I think we are at 115
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use water from my pond for water changes .City water will not let them thrive .I use pond water to start them also

Ask a Question