addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I gave it a try with three seeds (have 12 more if these go well or not, lol), two are thinking about it, one showed the smallest bit of green yesterday, here is today.
The yellow beat out the pink and white seeds.

DSC00583.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool. I tried growing lotus in a tub this Spring and our weather was so bad this year starting out that the poor things just died :claphands:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Giving it a good old try! The seeds where cheap, just time invested. Hopefully will have neat plants to put out in the spring.

Reaction score
When you get them growing and rooted, let me know. I frustrated myself for 2 winters trying to start them from seed. Each time they got further and further along and then would die. Some rotted. Some molded. Some were going along great and then died in less then 24 hours. I have a green thumb that turns black when I touch lotuses. LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will let you know if I succeed, the shoot has doubled in size just today. And try to remember everything I do, lol

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 16 plants started from seed this year. They are in 2 1/2 gallon buckets. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them this winter. They can't go into the ponds as they are planted in cat litter. I don't think they will survive if I leave them outside so I'm trying to figure a way to bring them in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have lilies in cat litter in the pond, but I don't have koi either.

Get some of those rubber maid plastic bins maybe take them out of the buckets and put x amount of plants into it. Unless the roots would get to competitive.

From the net:
"Lotus will be hardy if the tuberous rhizomes do not freeze. Plant the containers so that the soil line is below the freezing mark in your pool. This can be from 6 to 18 inches deep, depending on the size of your water feature. Lotuses, like waterlilies, prefer 6 or more hours of sunlight. They die back at the end of the year. Cut them down to a few inches above the rhizome."

Glad to hear you had success with seeds. They sure do grow fast once they start. I read they don't bloom the first year, I am hoping by starting them now they might bloom next summer.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get them to bloom next year so I can sell some along with the koi . Don't know what colors they are as they were dried seed heads from Michaels.

Ask a Question