Lotus

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
For what it's worth. I bought a three pack of an unknown variety of lotus seed pods from a local craft store for $3.99. I took the eighteen seeds out, and scored one side on a belt sander to expose the inside of the seed. I put them in filtered water and placed them on the kitchen wnidow sill as instructed. The first several lotus seeds to sprout took about five days to crack and send out sprouts. As of today, thirteen of the eighteen have sprouted and appear to be healthy. In a couple more days I will pot them in a container and place them under water and put them in a window for light.

I have no idea what kind of lotus they are, but I just had to try germinating some from the craft store. I haven't really thought about what I'm going to do with them yet. My pond is too small for lotus'. I may end up lining my drive way with wine barrel halves each with a lotus plant in it.

Happy ponding,

Rich :coolgleema:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Would you please either post the link or PM me with it. I am very interested in Lotus ever since my visit to China. i would love to cultivate some.

Reaction score
We grew a beautiful lotus in a half barrel last year. They are extremely heavy feeders and I used composted cow manure to fill the barrel and a full cup and a half of Osmocote for fertilizer.

Reaction score
1248191874.jpg

Chuck the Bulldog

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never have had a bloom on my lotus , maybe this year
the pics look great peepers
The whisky barrel maybe the way to go

Reaction score
we had three different barrels with lotus and only the 2 in full sun had any blooms.The other one only bloomed once and it was small and hidden under the leaves so I don't have a picture of that one. This one ended up with about 6 blooms. I am inclined to think that they would have done better in a year with more normal summer temps. Last year was quite a bit cooler than normal

Reaction score
those lotus flowers look amazing will be planting some of those near my pond this year (or more to the point the wife will as she is the green fingers of the family) :wave:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
One of two things you can do. Either bring it in for the winter by putting the potted lotus submerged in water in the garage or somewhere where the roots won't freeze. If the lotus roots freeze it's a gonner. Or, if you have hardy type lotus it can be kept in your pond at a depth (2 feet minimum), that will not allow the roots to freeze.

I'm still new to this and haven't grown any lotus of my own yet, but I have been doing quite a bit of reading about the many different types of lotus and how to care for them.

Happy ponding,

Rich :wave::umbrella::zap::umbrella:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Rich and good luck with your venture into the lovely lotus plants. I may have to give them a try
lotus7.gif

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
J.W.,

I have to admit, it is easier than I thought it would be. Just takes some patients. From what I have read about lotus seeds, they can survive for a long time even centuries because of the hard containment of skin on the seed itself.

Happy ponding,

Rich :wave:

Ask a Question