lotus

Reaction score
So when would be a good time to repot my lotus? Before it starts to grow? And also when to fertilize it? When I start to see shoots?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 15 lotus I started from seed last year. They were in 2 1/2 gal. pots stored under my deck all winter. I checked 5 of them and they are rootbound so moved to the bog. There was no growth on them yet. You have to be careful once they start growing that you don't break off the new growth.

Reaction score
Mine? no. I replanted but I'm gonna wait til the water is up to 50 like the plant food says. I bought a black trash can and cut the bottom off to use as a planter. Was able to make it the hieght i wanted and it ended up being 15" across. Hopefully this will be big enough.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dr. Dave, yes mine are from seed. I bought some dried lotus heads at a craft store. Wasn't sure if they were hardy but they seem to have survived the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat mrsclem, they are hard to get going, but you must have done a great job. I got one growing, have not tried any others yet.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mrsclem said:
Dr. Dave, yes mine are from seed. I bought some dried lotus heads at a craft store. Wasn't sure if they were hardy but they seem to have survived the winter.

I keep meaning to do the same. The local Michaels Store moved a few miles away and I no longer drive by it so I keep forgetting to stop in.
I guess I will just have to make a special trip.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried 12 2 made it I soaked them first and used what is called starter fertilizer .It's called rooting hormone and I guess others would have made it if I had checked them ,but just my luck some of the stupid dixie cups I used sprang leaks no water ,no grow who would know LOL

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have not had much luck growing them. Had two of them two years ago but they did not make it through the winter. Not sure if they were in to deep of water, but I will give them a try at some point.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep need to make sure they are the hardy variety, and in deep enough water to not let the roots freeze.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy, I had them in about 20" of water for the winter and my pond only freezes a few inches deep, but what is the ideal depth for them the rest of the year?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4-6 inches below water. They like being wet.

Reaction score
When you do repot a lotus give it plenty of food for the growing season the are heavy feeders and like lot of nutes. I know some here will say they just let them get there food form the water column if you have a heavy fish load this may be an option but I do not thing they will grow to there full potential with this method. I have tried it both ways and can assure you they will produce more blooms foliage if you provide them with with a good balance of nutes, Peace.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have yet to try a lotus, and with my very little fish load, they will need some food from me. Thanks for the information pond boy

Reaction score
Thanks Addy,

Give them a try they are a beautiful aquatic plant that are easy to grow and give back so much, Peace.

Ask a Question