Lou & Cathy's Nature Pond

Fishless nature pond
Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Big Lou submitted a new Showcase Item:

Lou & Cathy's Nature Pond

In the very beginning our completely diy pond was stocked with Goldfish, Comets, Fantails and Koi. Over time our fish began getting sick then following expert advice I euthanized all forty-two. One of the saddest days in our life. We cried our eyes out. That was the end of our garden fish pond.

Since then our pond has been dedicated to being a place of tranquility and a resource for all manner of wildlife, plants and trees. Over these past 14 or so years our approximately 2300 gallon pond has been rebuild/reconfigured/repaired numerous times due to a want for expansion and need for repair then finally for ease of caretaking. During these many years I too have experienced major life changes. I know every stone and aspect of our lovely pond yet due to declining health I must rely upon knowable for-hire pond maintenance folks for most every aspect of running our little slice of nature.

Our entire back yard has been developed to coexist with our nature pond. I am proud to say that after meeting numerous requirements our urban garden and nature pond is a certified natural habitat for wildlife. We support multitudes of bird species, squirrels, roadrunners, coyotes, opossums, raccoons, frogs, toads, snakes, snails lizards and probably many other unseen wildlife creatures. For Cathy and I it is a retreat. A place to meditate. To let our troubles blow away in the wind.

Because our pond has changed over the years I will showcase multiple versions of our pond. From the earliest times through today. We hope you enjoy these pictorial momentos.

Read more about this showcase item here...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Big Lou pond looks great. One question in your 8th pic what is the green plant or ground cover growing between the rock and your driftwood.?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice job on your showcase Lou. Your pond looks so natural and has so many lush lovely plants in and around it. If I were a critter I would be proud to call your pond my home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lovely. Thank you for taking the time to upload pictures to share with us. I only have 5 koi and can see the appeal of moving towards a fish less pond in the future and focusing on a natural setting for plants and wild life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Love your pond Big Lou. I enjoyed your showcase very much. Beautiful and peaceful pond. Looks very lush.

Ask a Question