Louisiana Iris - Any Planting Concerns???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have read that some reed plants can damage your EPMD pond liner. I also saw that the Yellow Flag Iris can be a potential problem as well. Ironically there is not much mention of the Blue Flag or Louisiana Iris.

All of that background to get to my question which is to ask: Is there anything I should be aware of before planing a Louisiana Iris directly into my rock ring w/o a pot?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had Blue Flag Iris in my bog (with a cheap liner) for seven years. No issues.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The iris in particular the yellow can take over an area fast. We had it in the bog and when we went to remove it, roots were down 18" and it was a solid block. We ended up using a bread knife to cut chunks out until we got it all. Cattails will damage a liner but I haven't heard of iris doing the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
The iris in particular the yellow can take over an area fast. We had it in the bog and when we went to remove it, roots were down 18" and it was a solid block. We ended up using a bread knife to cut chunks out until we got it all. Cattails will damage a liner but I haven't heard of iris doing the same.
Just to confirm it's only the Yellow Flag iris that I have to worry about being solid roots like you stated above? If I'm going to have the same issue with the Louisiana Iris I'm going to pull it up now before it can get established and limit it to pots only.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have yellow flag in the bog, louisiana iris in the pond some in pots some running free. Yellow flag I just cut off the out side parts and keeps it under control. I use a knife to cut it, makes it easy, or just break off chunks.

The stuff in the pond, same thing cut with knife and or just break off.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
yellow flag iris ime is the hardest to control or remove, as its roots get thick and go deep...pretty much what everyone else said never heard of it damaging a liner though. Had Louisiana iris in my bog as well, when I redid my bog and enlarged it, it wasn’t that big of a hassle to pull it out nowhere near the yellow flag with its root mass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
yellow flag iris ime is the hardest to control or remove, as its roots get thick and go deep...pretty much what everyone else said never heard of it damaging a liner though. Had Louisiana iris in my bog as well, when I redid my bog and enlarged it, it wasn’t that big of a hassle to pull it out nowhere near the yellow flag with its root mass.

Awesome you had both and could compare! Based on all of the above feedback we'll move forward with more "rock ring" plantings of the Louisiana iris.

Thank you again for everyone's help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have a different question about Louisiana Iris. Planted some directly in the pond 2 years ago. Finally bloomed this weekend but the flowers only lasted a couple of days! Very disappointed. Is this normal? My other purple iris last much longer. The variety is “Colorific”. Thanks!

Ask a Question