Louisiana iris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i have black gamecock iris they don’t bloom as well as I would like. In the spring the rhizomes have grown out of the pot and I have always replanted. Would they produce better if I let the grow out of the soil or should i continue to replant below the soil level? They have been in planting bags with soil like I use for my lilies would I be better planting in baskets in pea gravel

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some bare rooted, some in kitty litter. Both seem to grow the same amount and bloom the same.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you keep the rhizomes buried or let the run how they want
Depends on the year. I usually let them do what they want. I had some in kitty litter, then one day yanked them out and set them on the liner without the pot, but all the litter the roots were hanging onto. They did great.

Then another group I sat bare root in rocks they did great. Last fall I pulled them out to remove plants that decided to grow with them, Put some in bare root, some in kitty litter. Just now greening up. We have been cold this spring.

The rhizomes are usually buried. But over the summer some run free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Depends on the year. I usually let them do what they want. I had some in kitty litter, then one day yanked them out and set them on the liner without the pot, but all the litter the roots were hanging onto. They did great.

Then another group I sat bare root in rocks they did great. Last fall I pulled them out to remove plants that decided to grow with them, Put some in bare root, some in kitty litter. Just now greening up. We have been cold this spring.

The rhizomes are usually buried. But over the summer some run free.[/Q

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know all my planets started coming to life than that last cold spell set them all back.the iris look okay but my sweet leaf all look like they are dying back

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine seem to be staying the same for about a month now, a bit of green, still green but no real growth. The blue forget me not are doing the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine seem to be staying the same for about a month now, a bit of green, still green but no real growth. The blue forget me not are doing the best.
The ice killed almost all of my forget me not but they are trying to hang on. Hope they do they are my daughters favorite

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine survive being frozen solid, just give them time to recover

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The ice killed almost all of my forget me not but they are trying to hang on. Hope they do they are my daughters favorite
Mine look awful coming out of winter every year. Give it time, they should come back mine do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy1, do you winter the iris rhizomes above or bellow the water during the winter?
I leave them right where they are growing, in the bog they are in pea gravel, freeze up pretty solid.
In the pond they are from 4 to 10 inches below water more or less. I don't worry about them. The only ones I lower are the lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I leave them right where they are growing, in the bog they are in pea gravel, freeze up pretty solid.
In the pond they are from 4 to 10 inches below water more or less. I don't worry about them. The only ones I lower are the lilies.
Thanks addy1, I am going to plant some iris this weekend and was wondering about that.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Mine look awful coming out of winter every year. Give it time, they should come back mine do.
The biggest problem I have is a squirrel that likes to dig up my bulbs and munch on rhizomes. Think I will plant mine below the water line. Hopefully the squirrel doesn't own a snorkel. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Could be worse I have a ground hog that likes to eat pump power cords. At least I know my ground fault works or we would have fried ground hog

Ask a Question