Louisiana water iris care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am hoping that someone can advise me on a new plant I purchased for my pond. It is a Black Gamecock Louisiana Water Iris. When I purchased it, it had a bloom and a bud on it. Both are gone now and the leaves are starting to turn yellow and it doesn’t look like there’s new growth. My pond is about 2 ft deep and the area with the iris is about 10 inches. When I put the plant in the water the water covers the pot about an inch or so. Should I raise it up? It’s beautiful and I don’t want it to die, but have found that I’m not having much luck with pond plants outside of the lilies. I even killed my water hyacinths and parrots feather! LOL I have posted two pics below. The bloom photo is from the day I purchased it and one I took this evening I’ve raised the plant up out of the water some in hopes it might help. Can anyone give me advice?
Thanks! Lisa

Attachments

• D5DBAF30-1D1D-411E-98DD-F1AA4A8661BB.jpeg
    D5DBAF30-1D1D-411E-98DD-F1AA4A8661BB.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 6F999C50-8EDB-4497-85F2-2E781E6FAE88.jpeg
    6F999C50-8EDB-4497-85F2-2E781E6FAE88.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 86

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not sure on this particular iris, but some are fine with the crown a couple inches underwater, others like Just their “Feet” wet so to speak. If it appears to be struggling boost it up on something to get the crown above the water line. I will say when I have added new irises to my bog some of them look pathetic for the first year or so, then take off.

I am sure someone will chime in that keeps this particular species, and where it does best for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I’m a newbie so need lots of help! What exactly is the crown?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Crown is where root meets leaves. I think you need to raise it up so crown is just at water level. Also, with no fish, the plant is getting no food.
In the past, I have found that transplanting a plant that is in bloom, it is best to cut back all flowers and most of the leaves to give the root time to get established. I would cut it to 3-4". Fertilizer spike in the gravel will help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Give it time, like they say above, raise it a bit, fertilize, cut back the leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Without fish in your pond your plants will struggle. You may need to actually feed them in fact. The complete circle of an eco-pond is water-fish-plants. When you take one out of the equation, the other two will struggle.

Like a pond with just plants and fish - ain't nobody happy in that scenario!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like I will be getting fish lol
Are the roots/bulb supposed to be completely covered? This plant didn’t have much dirt on top when I bought it?

Ask a Question