Love my Huge Red Oak Trees But...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Love these huge Red Oak trees...... but I will be pulling up sprouts all summer next year
C806F5D0-379E-48A5-8F5B-937C461044D9.jpeg
3071346D-4F7E-4440-9FAC-12015095FBBF.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol like our maple (that died) those spinners started trees everywhere, even in the pond skimmer. Liked the tree but sure don't miss the mess. It was huge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A fried told me about "sterile" Maple trees, they don't have those spinners. I never knew about them....wonder if there are sterile oaks? Maybe squirrels will squirrel them away this winter :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no what have I got myself into? A squirrel planted a Red Oak acorn a few yrs ago and I dug it up when it sprouted and transplanted it to the middle of the back yard. It's only about 6 ft tall now and no acorns on it but wonder if it will create a real mess in my lifetime? Not getting rid of it tho as I like squirrels and they like acorns :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We used to have squirrels everywhere...... but a family of Cooper’s hawks have nested behind us for the last three years, so we have very few now

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used to have squirrels everywhere...... but a family of Cooper’s hawks have nested behind us for the last three years, so we have very few now
We have a bunch of nesting hawks, coopers I think. And we have a ton of squirrels. They have not managed to make a dent in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve got a big oak too, drips huge acorns. The squirrels prefer to stay away from the house as that’s where the cats handle out. But the big female red tailed hawk in our area prefers mice, she’s scared dad by swooping past almost in touching range as he mowed.

Ask a Question