low areas in pond without bottom drain

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm building a 1000 gallon pond that has a bottom drain. I'm almost through the build but ran into some conduit and can't re-route it. I'd like to dig a gully on one side of the conduit where the waterfall enters, but not where the bottom drain is, and place an underwater TPR near the bottom of the gully to keep stuff from settling. The conduit would form a ridge down the center of the pond (at about a 1.5' depth. The other side of the ridge would drop to 4 feet to the bottom drain.

Is this a bad idea? The pond is too small for two bottom drains, but I'd like to maximize gallons. That's why I want the gully.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It just means you will have to clean out what settles.

There is another option. Put that 2nd drain in but don't hook it to the filter system. About once a week open the valve on that drain and let it drain to flush the settled solids. Works best with sloping sides and a large pipe to get the most cleaning action. I have done this and can testify that it works.

Reaction score
Thanks Howard. So you don't think the under water jets would be enough keep the stuff off the bottom??

Ask a Question