Low Maintenance Fish?

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi, just filled our new 700-gal pond. Clearly a work in progress, the bubbler is temporary. Looks shallow but it’s actually dug into the ground for a total depth of 3’.

I wouldn’t mind a few fish if they were easy to care for. With two kids, plus a dog and cat we don’t need more pets. I’ve read Comets and Shubunkins are good. Any other recommendations?

A bog filter is planned in a wood box above the pond. Would like to be able to leave on vacation for a week without worrying, maybe an auto-feeder?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep I can leave mine for months without feeding, if you have plants, mature pond syndrome, for the fish to nibble on. IE some algae growing, some nice plants etc.

I have a large pond and stuck with shubunkins and goldfish. They get a bit of food from me, but sometimes it is weeks between feeding. They are all healthy and fat. This is a yesterday picture, they are coming out of winter nice and healthy.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 has the prettiest collection of shubbies, doesn't she - so many colors and those long flowing fins! And they are basically goldfish, and all goldfish are pretty self-sufficient in a well-established pond. I wouldn't even worry about feeding them while you're gone - they'll find plenty to snack on in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I agree! Good ol' goldfish are very easy, especially if you have a natural style, "eco-pond." I only feed my fish as a fun treat, to keep them a little social.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One summer, due to life, the poor fish got fed maybe once a month. I now leave food down there in a sealed can ow they may never get fed. You know forget to carry it, by the time you go back to the house, get doing something, forget the fish food, then days later go oops...........

Even with the can down there, hanging in a tree, they might get fed once a week, maybe.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Yes the shubunkins are very pretty...I think that is a good option. I hope to have a fair amount of water moving from a small waterfall, are they OK with some turbulence?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes the shubunkins are very pretty...I think that is a good option. I hope to have a fair amount of water moving from a small waterfall, are they OK with some turbulence?
Yes I have three water falls going into my pond. As long as there is a place that is calm so they are not constantly fighting a current.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Feed them lightly till the pond is well established. I’ve heard feed right after being moved, and I’ve heard wait 24 hrs to feed them. I’ve done both, no difference in results I’ve seen.

Ask a Question