Low oxygen in pond due to using Blanket weed treatment - advice needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I treated my pond (1000gals ) with "No more Blanket Weed " treatment about 5 weeks ago - however approx 10 days ago I noticed my big big Koi permanently sitting at surface and not eating - I had 2 air stones active - however I have now added 4 more - he seems to be coming round a bit - the other 8 much smaller fish are unaffected - Also here in Surrey the weather has been very hot and humid - My Question is however - IS THEIR ANY BLANKET WEED TREATMENT THAT DOES NT DEPLETE THE POND OF OXYGEN ?? I would be very grateful for any advice as usually when I go on holiday for a week the weed has taken over if I don't treat .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How hot is your water in the pond and you really need to find out what is feeding the blanket weed .Like over stocking or over feeding and have you tested your water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you using cloverleaf Blanket Answer Nick its only a blend of minerals and enzymes and not chemical in any form ...
I made sure I added extra air as a matter of course and always do, then observe over the four days the pond is milky
None of the koi where harmed at all during the treatment, nor since then the pond has run cycstal clear with no problems .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Considering that the blanket weed treatment was applied 5 weeks ago, I doubt that any residual effects would remain after such an extended period of time. You need to test your pond's usual parameters. A Dissolved Oxygen test would be indicated, but low DO is not likely your problem. Howw thick is the blanket weed at the present time? Any photos?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for the replies - the blanket weed at present is minuscule due to the treatment but by the time I go on holiday end of Sept it will be back - I tested all pond parameters 6 days ago & all ok - my main concern is my big Koi just sitting near surface - I was told by local Aqatics shop owner that a combination of adding the B weed treatment & hot weather has left him short of oxygen - ( no marks on him no raised scales - but stopped eating ) the other 9 fish all ok - as the big koi has no marks etc on him I think the lack of oxygen must have affected him - can I thank you all for all the help & advice you all freely give - it's very much appreciated indeed .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dissolved Oxygen levels should be verified by testing, not by assumptions. Koi and Goldfish will fare quite well at any Dissolved Oxygen level above 4 mg/L

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Is he indicating stress Nick i;e are his fins or body showing red streaking ?
The thing we should be worried about if he doesnt go down and our weather turns nice again is sunburn, I take it theres no shade for him to get under, [and yes they can and do suffer sunburn]?
Have you thought with him glued to the surface like that that your fish has swimbladder problems and it may have nothing to do with your blanket weed treatment ?
I mean that was five weeks ago and you noticed the koi doing what its doing only 10 days ago so it says to us that something -or- other has happened in between times
Get back to me tomorrow however going into hospital in the morning for my second cardioversion proceedure so I wont be able to get back to you till late PM tomorrow .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hijacking here to say best of luck @Dave 54 ! We'll wait to hear that all went as planned and you'll be back pond side as good as, or better than, ever!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey thanx Lisa cant sleep thought I'd spend the last hour prior to having to get ready to go to hospital for the proceedure as Val said I'll be getting some sleep afterwards till the anesthetic works off then I'll be sleeping at home for a while
Nick can you get back to me tonight please urgent need to know those answers to the questions I put to you :cool:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave - I'm lucky that I have a bridge across the pond providing plenty of shade - and he sits under that so sun is not a problem - also lots of lily s and reeds - can I say that over the last 12 hrs he has been swimming a few times but then goes back under bridge - he even eat a small amount last night - I will test all parameters again later and report - - also no signs of stress - he looks just like he always has -

Ask a Question