Low Ph and low alkalinity

Reaction score
I see a lot of articles about high ph but not as any on low. I have had 2 goldfish die in the last couple weeks I guess because I have been too busy to do much more then throw them some food every couple days. I check the water today with a quick dip test. The ph and alkalinity are very low, possibly why the fish died. I added baking soda and will check it again in couple hours. Nitrates and nitrites are fine, never had problems with those. But I do have problems with keeping the alkalinity and ph higher. Anything else I can do other than adding baking soda every few days?

Maybe an article for low ph like the one pinned in the Garden pond talk forum if anyone has one?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an acidic well, 5.5, our water is very soft, our pond sat very low in ph and soft. I added baking soda and crushed oyster shells, 100 lbs, after a summer of running our hardness is now in the good range and no issues with ph. Also have a ton of plants.

This is a good read on pond chemistry

http://users.vcnet.com/rrenshaw/H2Oquality.html

Reaction score
The baking soda did the job but will have to get oyster shells for a more permanent solution. Like Addy I have very soft well water with low ph.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fought the ph and hardness, the oyster shells and ph did the job

Make sure you put the oyster shells where there is good moving water, I have them in my stream and in the bog where the water is always flowing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any type of crushed coral, shells, or Dolomite (gravel they use in saltwater aquarium) will work. All of these break down in moving water to help build the hardness. It's very common in the fall for the hardness to deplete. keeping the hardness up will keep ph crashes or drops more under control.

Ask a Question